RSJ looks unsafe?

Sponsored Links
well, that is exactly the calcs I had to use on only a 2.9 m span so, as I said belt and braces, but all the correct calculations will be on the structural engineers report ...if there is one ! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Jason, I don't know where you get the 150mm minimum bearing from. Wherever it is it's just a generalisation probably aimed at the diy market.

Or approved document A page 25

2C24 Other loading conditions:
a. Vertical loading on walls should be distributed. This may be assumed for concrete floor slabs, precast concrete floors, and timber floors designed in accordance with section 2B, and where the bearing length for lintels is 150mm or greater. Where a lintel has a clear span of 1200mm or less the bearing length may be reduced to 100mm.

Where a lintel has a clear span of 1200mm or less the bearing length may be reduced to 100mm.

'Lintel' dear boy, lintel. Not steel beam. Completely different.

If you are gonna stick yer chest out on this forum, do yer homework first. :rolleyes:

Or approved document A page 25

Approved Document A gives 'deemed to satisfy' provisions for masonry buildings. A designer is free to go outside those provisions but should be prepared to justify the design if necessary.

but now I've seen the work the builders have done I'm a bit concerned about its safety

OMG these guys should not be called builders, a bit concerned is an understatement, it looks like these guys have no idea as to how to go about this job. Follow advice as given above, get structural calculations undertaken by a qualified structural engineer and this will need a building control application, on site inspections and to be signed off by building control. You are also possibly into Party Wall etc Act territory.

How do we know that the beam is actually supporting anything? The top right-hand pic seems to show a black void, with just a wire hanging down. The thing on top of the beam might be a piece of timber intended to cover the gap. Is there actually a wall above the beam? Do the floor joists run parallel?

They've stuck a piece of wood between the RSJ and the joist above, given the way this has worked out I'm guessing that's just a lazy short cut to avoid having to raise the RSJ further to support the joist directly?

They've covered up the walls on either side now, they look the same externally so I'm guessing they've done nothing to reinforce where the RSJ rests on either side.

Guess the best thing to do is to stop them before they cover it up any further as that'll just increase the costs of someone else fixing it...

Sounds like the beam is just supporting floor - which in't a lot. Stop them anyway until they supply details and the work is inspected by building control. Have they been paid any money? Don't take any nonsense. Make it clear they will not be paid if they proceed before you are satisfied.

Apologies for misleading- it is a 3 storey house hence size of beam and I will gladly supply the structural engineers report which has been approved by BC. Shame I've had a few on here with unhelpful remarks as I am only recounting my personal experience and the calcs I have had to adhere to here in Kent , maybe your local BC has different standards but I doubt it, but then again what would I know as I am a novice only being in the game since 1978, all I do is read and work off the plans which tell me the current state of mind regarding ever changing up to date BC regs, I was only trying to lend my experience to another novice, which I stand by- get a couple of acrows under it and call BC to inspect, belt & braces every time, too many people masquerading as builders these days, ask them the question " what did you do before you were a builder ? ' - Me,I've been in the game since I left school and I'm still learning- Jackie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back