RSJ might not be compliant (Scotland) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing some advice. I'm. In Scotland and we got plans and drawings etc to knock a load bearing wall down and put up Rsj, got all the permissions, structural e gineers sizing and all that. Had loads of problems with the job, loads, turns out the wall wasn't made of brick it was poured concrete and 13 inch's thick. Turns out the guy I had doing it couldn't manage the job, major delays, kitchen was a total building site for months, got another firm is who said they could do it, they done it, I asked the Building Regulater to come when it was done but he never got back to me. We had a new kitchen being delivered in a week, which I told him, but he never appeared so my builder went ahead weeks after and boxed it in. Still not heard from council guy after 18 months.
My worry is now, it's not done right. I went with his word, he made me think it was fine, the more I think about it Im certain it's not.
Fast forward a bit and the wife wants to separate, we have zero money so have to sell the house but I don't know if I can. I have no money to rectify any work that would be needed.
Would it be possible to just build a 3 skin block wall back up again with a reputable contractor. I mean I have no money but this seems to be the only way I can sort this quick. If I done that, could I just sell the house saying there was no changes as the house is essentially back to normal state, just with a massive chuck of steel that's not doing anything.

Please don't tell me how daft iv been, I know, I'm not strong enough to challenge people, if the council had got there within the week or so they would have seen it and might be in better position, but i am where I am.

My plan was to wait till we were better off in a few years and then get it rectified properly and signed off and we'd be fine, now this thunderbolt to my life throws all that in the bin.

I need to sell this house quick to grt our money out to start again otherwise I'm actually in the gutter with my daughter!.

Sponsored Links
So this concrete wall, does it go all the way up to the top of the house? If you’ve got a nice kitchen now and it’s all boxed in and nothing has moved I’d take the route of trying to get it retro signed off (likely to have to expose parts of the beam)
Don’t build the wall back up, that would be a crazy last resort

Yes concrete full construction.
But I think the building work wasn't done to the drawing etc, it's not unsafe, it's held over a year with no issues, it's solid, but we had so many issues (nightmare, wish we'd never done it) with it when we got the beam in, I emailed building control but when we hadn't heard for a week or two we just told the kitchen fitter to go ahead and start boxing in and fitting kitchen.

So if they do come out and it's not correct I have no ability, zero, to rectify it by having it done properly.
This was fine as long as me and wife stayed together as I thought, let's enjoy it for a few years, once we have a bit more cash we'll get it all done properly. Best laid plans eh, she's now wanting to leave and I am totally goosed. Totally.

My thought of rebuilding a solid brick wall back to say no changes have been done is still a good option caise the house will be sellable and still an attractive property. If we never knocked the wall down it would still sell and leave us sitting pretty. It's just this bloody beam.

The money is in the house if we sell, even if we sold at 85/90% I/we can get clear and start again, but if I can't sell, I can't keep up with all my debt obligations and I'm ruined.

Get in touch with the council, or whoever is doing the inspections. Book an appointment and make sure it happens. See what the situation is, and what needs to be done to get sign off. Even if things need to be opened up for inspection, that may be better than any alternative.

If you have used the engineers design steel then all should be OK.

Sponsored Links
Ye the correct steels were used as specified by the Structural Engineer, I'm certain of that, but it's not painted and I'm sure the drawings said it needed to be. It's clad in the pink fibreboard stuff seem a lot saying that should be OK.
I just can't afford to have them say, nah this isn't right redo it. I simply can't. And I don't have the time as I need to sell fast

Have them come out and inspect it, they may well pass it and if they don't then you can make a decision with the information of what's needed. Saying it's not compliant doesn't stop you doing something else or selling the house.

Iv heard many solicitors and lenders don't really like these nowadays, not worth anything really

Despite not really being worth the paper they're written on these policies have immense value in a allowing a sale to proceed where it otherwise might not.

Although you're probably spending your waking moments staring at the thing is it really obvious? On an old house the knock through could have happened 40 years ago.

Despite not really being worth the paper they're written on these policies have immense value in a allowing a sale to proceed where it otherwise might not.

Although you're probably spending your waking moments staring at the thing is it really obvious? On an old house the knock through could have happened 40 years ago.
No I think it's solid enough, if it was done 40 years ago I wouldn't be worried, it was done 18 months ago, we would have stayed no problem but becaise wife wants to split now we need to sell, and sell quick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back