RSJ on Blue bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Universal Beam 1.8m length 1.46 opening in single leaf wall. Supporting walls are 350mm and 400mm wide.

SE has specified 3 courses of blue bricks rather than a padstone.

Do I get the brickie to lay the 3 courses in normal brick pattern, or are they stacked one on top of the other? Given the widths of the supporting walls I figured I may as well get the entire length of the 3 courses done in blue brick, but obviously won't if they are meant to be stacked one on top of the other.

Grateful for any advice as neither BC or SE are picking up emails probably because they have a life and have gone away for Easter.

Sponsored Links
Bond if the required area is wider than one brick, in which case you can stack them.

Don't use blue bricks in other parts of the wall, especially if its an external wall.

What in the name of God is the 1.46m beam carrying that it needs a 3-course blue-brick bearing???

Thank you Woody. The Padstone specified was 215mm x 100mm x 100mm or 3 courses blue brick. So just need to chop out 3 courses of brick 215mm in length. Fantastic.

Tony - it is the internal leaf of an external wall. The other leaf already has a lintel in it, I believe from when the houses were originally constructed.

Sponsored Links
Lol, yes with mortar as normal!

foto_no_exif (3).jpg

That was original thought stuart. Guess I will have to wait for my BC guy to get back to me!
He can then say whether Class B solid engineering bricks will suffice too!
Why did the SE not just specify a 215 long x 100 wide x 140 high concrete padstone? Would have been much simpler than faffing about with 3 layers of blue brick.
(BTW, 2 layers of brick would have worked just as well with a 100 bearing of the steel.)
In practice, lintels over such narrow openings don't usually need padstones.

Why did the SE not just specify a 215 long x 100 wide x 140 high concrete padstone? Would have been much simpler than faffing about with 3 layers of blue brick.
(BTW, 2 layers of brick would have worked just as well with a 100 bearing of the steel.)
In practice, lintels over such narrow openings don't usually need padstones.

I don’t know the answer to that Tony, but he specced 150mm bearing onto 215 x 100 x 100 3 courses blue bricks

Its all changed now anyway - i took the plaster off to find that there was 6cm of plaster on the single storey kitchen side of the wall I’m taking out that was hiding a 100mm deep wall with alternate bricks cross bonded into the wall. This cross bonded snub wall supports the beam that supports the outer leaf of the external wall.
F23B0E34-439F-4B0B-8315-DEAA10A21101.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back