Rubbing alcohol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know whaire i can get rubbing alcohol as it is mentioned in loads of things for like cleaning metal connectors and other things but i cannot find anywhaire to get it. Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Tried your local chemist/pharmacy ??

Tried google ????

Thanks, I have just tried google but it does'nt find much stuff towards buying the stuff. but i will got to my chemist tomorow.

Surgical spirit is the UK equivilent of rubbing alcohol :)

Sponsored Links
If you just want to clean things, meths will do.

get a pot of elbow grease, theres some on the post ninebob posted! :LOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropanol#Uses
...Isopropyl alcohol is also commonly used as a cleaner and solvent in industry. Isopropanol is the main ingredient in rubbing alcohol...

Both Meths and rubbing alcohol leave a residue ... Probably not a problem.

Maplins said:
Isopropyl Alcohol FAQ's:
Q) Is this product flammable? -
A) Yes with a naked flame

Q) I have Artic Silver thermal compound and the instructions say I should clean cpu/heatsink surfaces with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol, is this product suitable? -
A) Yes Recommend Isopropyl Alchohol for cleaning of CPU and heatsink (allow to evaporate before installing, takes a few seconds only)

Q) Will this remove coffee from a PCB/Laptop components if not what will. - Robert Penketh
A) it should do that

Q) can this remove the glue/paste that has stuck my cpu and heatsink together solid? - s davis
A) yes it should be able to remove that

Q) Is this product suitable for cleaning the heads on a mini DV format Camcorder? - R Rhodes
A) yes - it would be fine

Maplins supply it, not as cheap as :-
http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/products/showcat.asp/c=796
See the substance handling sheet.

;)

I used to use Isopropyl Acohol to clean certain equipment, one day I caught my finger on the housing and bled on one, I was surprised the alchohol didn't clean the blood off, I had to go and get a damp wiper.

They might be right said:
Isopropyl Alcohol FAQ's:
Q) Is this product flammable? -
A) Yes with a naked flame
Anything hot enough will ignite it - it doesn't need to be a naked flame.

I suspect this was written by someone a bit challenged in the literacy department, who meant to say "Yes, and it burns with an invisible flame".

Q) I have Artic Silver thermal compound and the instructions say I should clean cpu/heatsink surfaces with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol, is this product suitable? -
A) Yes Recommend Isopropyl Alchohol for cleaning of CPU and heatsink (allow to evaporate before installing, takes a few seconds only)
Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Q) Will this remove coffee from a PCB/Laptop components if not what will. - Robert Penketh
A) it should do that
I don't think that dried coffee is any more soluble in alcohol than it is water, and given how quickly alcohol evaporates, I'd say use cotton buds moistened in water.

Q) can this remove the glue/paste that has stuck my cpu and heatsink together solid? - s davis
A) yes it should be able to remove that
Well - I guess they should know, but I am very dubious about the idea that alcohol will dissolve cured glue.

Q) Is this product suitable for cleaning the heads on a mini DV format Camcorder? - R Rhodes
A) yes - it would be fine
But be careful with what you use to apply it

Maplins supply it, not as cheap as :-
http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/products/showcat.asp/c=796
See the substance handling sheet.
Bound to be cheaper suppliers.

Don't be tempted to use it for anything other than external applications, it contains bitrex, which is rather unpalatable.

Sponsored Links
Back