Welsh English divide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not like shopping, however neither do I want to pay over the odds, so if to get alcohol at a reasonable price I need to to travel to England, I will also buy other goods required at the same time, so because of the Welsh rules on alcohol the Welsh shops don't get my custom for other items.

Sponsored Links
I recall during my time in NSW the duty on petrol was different to Victoria ( not sure which way round) the closer you got to the border there was taper on duty to try and prevent cross border shopping

I do not like shopping, however neither do I want to pay over the odds, so if to get alcohol at a reasonable price I need to to travel to England, I will also buy other goods required at the same time, so because of the Welsh rules on alcohol the Welsh shops don't get my custom for other items.
sounds like you drink too much.

Sponsored Links

What about the Wetherspoons's in Wales? Are they more expensive than those in England?

(Abbot Ale 1.99 Bell's whisky 99p).

It does not affect expensive booze only cheap stuff like the low alcohol beer at 2% buy beer at 5% and no difference, seems the government don't want drinking in moderation.

It's your ****ing fault my country got the idea for MUP in the 1st place!

We’ve got it in Scotland too and there seems to more more alkies than ever.

What they need is independence, Scotland too. Save England's taxes going to them for one and they can drink as much as they like and may need to as well.

Booze is ridiculously dear in Ireland too, and that also is traditionally considered a nation of drinkers.
That is why Wetherspoons is expanding in the Irish Republic while closong his pubs in N. Ireland.

It seems shopping is not the only problem football has also fallen foul of the rules Chester is unusual as when the river dee was canalised and straightened the boarder still followed the old route, so the football clubs grounds were moved from where is now a retail park to reclaimed ground which allowed a large car park to be built, due to the river dee, the bit of Wales where the ground is, can only be assessed by foot or push bike from Wales, there are no road links so although technically in Wales it is thought of as being England and Chester is in English league I think. I don't follow football.

There was a Pub with one bar in England and one bar in Wales, but that Pub has now closed, however the town still straddles the boarder and has one Pub in Wales and one in England. For Pub beer there is no problem, but supermarket beer, Morrison's do a bitter 2% ABV at 90p in England and £1.73 in Wales for 4 cans, and the Christmas special offers were more expensive in Wales, the TV adverts for cheap drink did not apply to Wales, so although not worth doing a trip to England for 4 cans, it was worth if for a Christmas shop.

The result is Welsh boarder town shops are loosing trade. The way we get shops grouped together, it is not just the shops selling booze, but other shops in the same estate. In some cases people don't even realise which country they are in, I lived 12 miles from Cheshire boarder but still had a Chester post code.

My wife has had a text message in Welsh saying she needs to self isolate and in English to say the isolation time has now expired and she can go out again, but I have had nothing, and we live in same house, also any messages I get are English only, only she gets them is Welsh as well.

Both of us born in Wales, neither of us speak Welsh she had to get it translated.

Sponsored Links
Back