Welsh English divide

Sponsored Links
Booze is ridiculously dear in Ireland too, and that also is traditionally considered a nation of drinkers.

That is why Wetherspoons is expanding in the Irish Republic while closong his pubs in N. Ireland.

Minimum alcohol pricing has just been introduced on Ireland; a unit must be sold for no less than one euro. According to the example in this link it has increased the price of a bottle of Jameson's whiskey from 15 Euros (£12.50) to 22 Euros (£18.40).

The new alcohol laws in Ireland 2022: New price of beer, spirits, and wine - Access Hospitality

Are these prices right Irish readers? If so you have my deepest sympathies for suffering Europe's most expensive booze!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, tray of Budweiser; was €15 – now €40.80

Minimum alcohol pricing has just been introduced on Ireland; a unit must be sold for no less than one euro. According to the example in this link it has increased the price of a bottle of Jameson's whiskey from 15 Euros (£12.50) to 22 Euros (£18.40).

The new alcohol laws in Ireland 2022: New price of beer, spirits, and wine - Access Hospitality

Are these prices right Irish readers? If you you have my deepest sympathies for suffering Europe's most expensive booze!
It is a case of swings and roundabouts.
My daughter lives in Enniskillen close to the Irish border, her local Asda supermarket is one of the most profitable in the Asda chain due to the influx of Southerners who cross the border to take advantage of lower prices in N. Ireland.
The carpark in Asda and Tesco’s are usually bunged with Republic of Ireland car registrations.
Sometimes borders can be good things.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...ppers-flock-to-northern-ireland-35192961.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am sure English supermarkets think the same with Welsh customers. But in Wales our shops tend to be smaller than England, so prices a little higher, but cost of fuel still means worth local shopping, but only just.

Ireland government raised taxes on alcohol because they decided a while ago that they wanted to cut alcohol usage because of the wide spread damage caused to society in general and to individuals specifically caused by excessive drinking and alcohol abuse.
Other governments take the opposite approach and promote and encourage excessive drinking because it is a source of vast revenue.
Which government is doing the right thing?
Won't change anything.
The Southerners will just start importing their booze from the North.
Unless the Southern Government decide to reinstate customs posts on the border there is nothing they can do about it.
Could turn out to be a big earner for Northerners.

Ireland government raised taxes on alcohol because they decided a while ago that they wanted to cut alcohol usage

Other governments take the opposite approach and promote and encourage excessive drinking because it is a source of vast revenue.

Which government is doing the right thing?

Neither.

BUT: I'd like to know which governments promote and encourage excessive drinking; do tell, sounds great!

Sponsored Links
Back