Running a 12V appliance from a 230V mains supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Here's my dilemma... I have an air compressor that runs at 10A, however it has a 12V cigarette lighter head on the power lead only enabling me to use it in a car. I really need to be able to use this compressor in the home. I have searched for adapters/transformers and the best I can find seem to run 1A appliances. I also looked into powering from my desktop's USB port however these can only support 500mA.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, any ideas would be much appreciated. I'd consider purchasing a new air compressor that runs from the mains if that turns out to be the cheaper alternative?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Sponsored Links
You need a transformer thats capable of producing 10 amps continuous output...thats a pretty tall order and the nearest thing that I can think of is a heavy duty battery charger...fused, of course! These compressors aren't meant for continuous duty - ok for pumping a tyre up and thats about it. Cheers John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It should certainly work for short periods, yes. I'm desperately trying to think what percentage the RMS value against the maximum output but its gone....
I don't think your wee compressor should be run for more than 5 minutes at a time though.

Sponsored Links
What are you intending using it for?

You can buy mobile 12v power packs, some with built in compressors which may do the job you want, and they are a useful thing to have anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back