running a 240v hoover on a petrol generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hoover out a remote garage with no power, I've notice that it doesn't work perhaps due to not pulling enough power, is there any work around for something like this?

I have a handheld hoover but not with a flooring attachment so I can't use it.

Sponsored Links
bottom line with this is that most domestic generators are sub 1000watts your VC is likely 1500 plus and more when starting up and the genny will shut down the output. answer is a bigger genny or a smaller vac.

Sponsored Links
Who is the arbiter of 'right' and 'wrong'?

Well according to the OED (and every other lexicographer & linguist I have heard / read comment on this), it is the people.

English dictionaries are descriptive (the record the way that the language is used) not prescriptive (saying how the language should be used).

Who is the arbiter of 'right' and 'wrong'?
That's a very good question.

It would appear to be 'someone' (a committee, no doubt) at the OED (and others, if the same).
Presumably it is when they observe the minority who have been wrong become the majority and then are arbitrarily deemed right.
I wonder where they draw the line. I expect it is when they disagree with the latest nonsense.
Heaven forbid we should actually correct people and educate them.

I deduce, therefore, we can continue with our continuity tests.

That's a very good question. It would appear to be 'someone' (a committee, no doubt) at the OED (and others, if the same). Presumably it is when they observe the minority who have been wrong become the majority and then are arbitrarily deemed right.
Yes, it is a good question.

Unless we 'ban' any changes in the meaning of words (in which case, amongst other things, light bulbs would still be light bulbs and EVs could not be cars) or the introduction of any new words, someone (or some committee/whatever) has to decide what is going to be regarded as 'currently correct'. If not an OED (or whatever) committee, then what person or body would you suggest? Unlike the French, we have no body which is 'in charge of the language'.

Kind Regards, John

I have run vacuum cleaners sorry seems we are using correct words, so it does not produce a vacuum so should be called an air velocity cleaner, from a generator sorry electric generator many times.
The maximum wattage will be lowered even further to 900 watts in 2017. The current average on the market is about 1,800 watts. Currently vacuum cleaners are the only products subject to the ban – although next year the EU plans to scrutinise other household appliances.
So with a new generator of 1000 watt a new vacuum cleaner should work, it states maximum wattage not running wattage.

However when working on building sites the wet vacuum cleaners had three 900W motors and would trip out the 110 volt 16 amp supplies and needed a 32 amp supply, it seems it was common to have two 16A sockets on one 20A MCB and with that they would work, but our 16A sockets had 16A MCB's and it was causing us a problem other wise I would not realise how big they were.

There are three common ways to control a generator, an inverter often larger than the generator allowing you to use two generators together, an automatic voltage regulator, and last using two field coils one in series and one in parallel this method means voltage only spot on at two loads, and depending on the design is if the generator will allow over current or not, some will not generate if you leave a load on them at start up, the field will fail on overload and whole thing shuts down, others can actually burn themselves out the only protection is an output MCB.

So no one can answer question as we don't have required information.

I remember in the Falklands we had two generators delivered and boss said we don't need any more generators at the moment leave them in the boxes. Then we did need extra so we unboxed them only to find they were acetylene generators, seems the welding department had been hunting for them. So yes suppose we should use correct names, bicycle dynamos have not actually been dynamos (DC generator) for years, they were nearly all alternators.

Since really an air velocity cleaner then does the ban on wattage cover them?

I will answer the technical questions about the voltage later tomorrow. The genny is buried amongst other shyte at the moment.

Thanks for the help thus far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back