Running a tumble dryer using offpeak electricity????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next week, I am in charge of the domestic arrangements while the wife takes a well earned holiday.

As I know I won't have time to hang the washing out during the day, the tumble dryer will be called into action.

We have a Hotpoint TC71 Condenser Tumble Dryer which I was thinking could come on during the early morning via a timer and keep the washing machine company while both of them use offpeak electricity.

Having tried to set this up, I have noticed that the push button start will only work when the power is switched on. You cannot get the machine to start by pushing the button and then switching on the power.

Does anyone know if this is just a feature of our machine or is there some general sort of safety reason why dryers can't be set to run without anyone in attendance? They must be heavy on electricity so offpeak would seem the obvious choice?

Sponsored Links
Yes we have that facility via timer. Rate 1 is Normal, Rate 2 is Low.

your dryer is unlikly to use more than 20 to 25p for a 90 minuite cycle

as its likely to be 3kw or less and cutting in and out as the temperature fluctuates

my calculations are for a normal vented dryer dont know if a condencer would use any more!!!!!

now in the long term well worth the saving but over a week assuming you use it every night you may save£2 - whatever 20 units at night rate costs

Sponsored Links
most "normal" tumble dryers can be started just by turning the built in timer to a time, so you can hook up a plug-in-timer so the machine starts when the external timer kicks in, and runs for the duration of the internal timer setting. You obviously have a fancy tumble dryer.

When exactly does you off peak electric kick in? depending on this, surely you could start it late at night as you are going to bed?

If all else fails, get a big stick and wedge it between the start button and the opposite wall ;) :LOL: (joke, by the way, though its worth a try if you want to, at own risk)

i have never been one to like the idea of td's running when no one near, seen too many catch fire

I have just measured up the clothes prop and it will fit just fine. :LOL:

Our off peak electricity kicks in at 12.30pm and finishes at 7.30am. I don't fancy staying up until then to save £2???? for the week.

Leaving appliances running overnight is a risk though. The washing m/c & dishwasher seem to manage to flood the kitchen about once every 2/3 years. :cry: Having said that, I'm not sure if you could prevent it if you were around to spot the problem. :confused:

hondacrm said:
Having said that, I'm not sure if you could prevent it if you were around to spot the problem. :confused:
turn the water & lecy off stops it

Not when you have a drum full of water that won't discharge. Any suggestions for when it happens next :?:

they should never be full, if ever a m/c fills too much it is either pressure switch, pressure chamber or interconecting pipes that are at fault

I'm sure most plug in 'off the shelf' timers are not recommended for use with inductive loads - i.e. motors. Just to add to the fire risk thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back