Running cables into new stud wall ready for electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

First of all, sorry if any of this is ignorant/daft sounding, also apologies if my attempts to search have failed, busy morning at work and I'm drawing blanks.

Got a new stud partition upstairs, which I'm itching to skim over - but I need wiring for a couple of sockets in this wall. As funds are tight, and we need new consumer unit and a partial rewire anyway, we wont be getting an electrician in for a couple of months. This leaves me stuck with an unplastered wall.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to feed some wires into the wall, and have them there ready for connecting up when the electrician gets his hands on it. I'm really not sure however where the wires should be going.

On another wall, the wires for a lightswitch appear to originate from the loft, go to the lightswitch, then to a wall socket underneath, then down into the floor.

Any guidance or tips folks? Or am I best off just leaving it in bare plasterboard until we get the electrics done? :)

Sponsored Links
put in plastic conduit and back boxes in the wall leading up to the loft or down to the floor voids, with draw ropes, into which the electrician can draw cables later.

Is it just constructed?

You could take off some plasterboard panels and feed cables into the walls in the appropriate places where you want sockets, switches, etcetera.

Mark on the skirting, architrave or a plan where they all are so that after the wall is skimmed, you can cut the drylining box holes and fish out the ends.

Would this circuit be a new circuit directly wire to the the above mentioned CU are you connecting to an existing circuit?
If complete new circuit, you can install back boxes and cable up to them leaving enough slack on the cable to be routed back to the consumer unit, you would need to know what type of circuit arrangement you require though and that may depend on the load demand that this circuit would be required to achieve. This would then determined cable and protective device ratings.
If extending from an existing circuit, you would again need to know the type of circuit you were installing to and the demand required upon that circuit.
You will require to route cable in the permitted safe zones (can be found in Wiki under installation techniques)
Also if you are having funny ideas about connecting the circuit up, certain tests are required prior to this and the socket will require RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks. Nah no funny ideas about connecting up, I just want to crack on with getting the wall finished (it's currently just studs, rockwool and bare plasterboard), so it can be painted and carpet put down. The conduit and draw ropes idea might be the best idea, as I seriously haven't a clue how much wire to put in. Basically I want a single socket mid wall (for a small wall mounted tv) and a double socket lower down (for a games console and desklamp). Would it be a case of running one wire top to bottom in the wall and leaving plenty of extra wire hanging out top (in the loft) and bottom (skirting level), or would multiple wires be needed? :)

I freely admit I need to seriously read up on electrics, if only so I don't end up with finished walls, floors and ceilings which later need hacking up.

Have you spoke about or organised an electrician to install. if so they will be best placed to offer you on-site guidance. If not there are number of issues you need to consider over cable ratings, as various methods effect the current carrying capacity of them.
Installing in conduit and thermal insulated walls, will de-rate the cable.
So some thought is required in to the design of the circuit, a TV, console and lamp are not going ask for a great demand and an option could well be 2.5mm T&E radial, this would be okay on a 13A FCU connected to ring final or radial or directly to new CU on 16A or 20A MCB.
You could if suitable, just put one side of the wall up, leaving one side accessible and the other to satisfy your plastering addiction!

I would get an electrician in now to price up the full job, and get them to guide you on the work you want to do. If not you may struggle to find someone willing to sign the job off having only your word for how the cables are run, which may not be the correct way.

A good electrician would probably be happy to provide guidance if they knew they were getting the job......

Basically I want a single socket mid wall (for a small wall mounted tv)

Don't forget that you'll also need to run an aerial cable to .....somewhere.......

Also, put a piece of ½" ply behind the plasterboard so there is something to mount the TV on to. Otherwise it will pull out of the plasterboard after a month or two of swivelling. I've seen it done.

A good electrician would probably be happy to provide guidance if they knew they were getting the job......

The electrician will have done this loads of time before. He will probably be able to suggest things you haven't thought of but which you'll wish you had thought of six months down the line after you've decorated ....

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back