Running sockets from a cooker switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm upgrading and adding to the sockets in my workshop so there will be 8 metal clad doubles when finished. I'd like to be able to switch all the sockets off from near the light switch to stop me accidentally leaving a soldering iron plugged in or something else running as it might days or weeks between visits. I'm considering using a 40A cooker switch for this. The circuit will be a short 6mm run from the garage consumer unit 32A mcb to the switch then a 2.5mm ring from there. I believe this is referred to on here as a lollipop. The alternative I can think of is 2 pole rotary isolator and keep the ring all the way. I prefer the cooker switch in terms of operation but is there any reason not to do it this way or a better option?

Sponsored Links
How about something like this and you can cry out "It's alive! " each time you switch on!:p :)
trumbull_switch_500.jpg

A cooker switch would be fine. Suggest you get one with a neon on it.

Alternatively you could just switch off the MCB!

Sponsored Links
How is the consumer unit connected to the supply?
6mm SWA to a 40 amp mcb on the non rcd side of the house consumer unit.
A cooker switch would be fine. Suggest you get one with a neon on it.
Alternatively you could just switch off the MCB!
Thanks. I've got a decent MK switch with neon to use. I did consider just using the mcb but it's not as convenient so I'll simply end up not doing it unlike a switch next to the light switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back