Rust question - any ways to deal with it without painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I'm asking is because I have a (relatively new) painted metal garden bench with just a few very small rust spots.

I'd like to deal with these obviously before it gets any worse - and also to make sure anyone sitting on it won't get rust in their clothes.

However - the bench is painted in a relatively unusual colour, and I think it would be very difficult to find matching paint (especially anti-rust paint). I don't want to have to paint the whole bench for a few small spots, so am wondering whether there's something like a clear product I can put on that would do the same as e.g. Hammerite, but without the colour. I think it would look better/more natural even if a few small rusty bits are showing, than if I put blobs of the wrong colour all over it! But I've not managed to find any. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
shopping

Thanks Bosswhite but I looked that up and it seems to say you still have to paint over it afterwards? So same issue really.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I hadn't thought of Halfords but I suppose they might have something. Though I don't think there are many cars that colour! Or yes I suppose colour matching might be an option if I used rust converter first and then general metal paint. I think I could take off one of the bolt covers to get it matched.
Also just realised I might have another possibility though, as I worked out it's been less than a year since I bought the bench, and I think it may have a warranty! So there's a chance I might be able to get it replaced or get them to help me fix it up. Fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back