S.Manchester/Stockport Boiler Repair - Rare(ish) Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in need of a boiler repair. Needs PRV replacing/cleaning and the diverter valve servicing.

Trouble I'm having is the boiler is an Icon 23T and boiler engineers I have spoken to have either been scared off because they have never heared of the boiler and are reluctant to work on it, or don't know where to source the parts.

Is there anybody on here that is willing to help me out?

Sponsored Links
Where would I find the Data Plate? Can I get the council number from the user manual?

Ikon/Icon, from what I have read, appear to be manufactured by somewhat confusing sources. I hear they are made by Hepworth, but they often carry the Protherm tag when searching for parts.

Where would I find the Data Plate? Can I get the council number from the user manual?
Normally on the inside of the boiler case, though it should also be in the manual (GC or Gas Council).

The manual should say who to contact in case of problems and give a manufacturer's address and phone number.

Ikon/Icon, from what I have read, appear to be manufactured by somewhat confusing sources. I hear they are made by Hepworth, but they often carry the Protherm tag when searching for parts.
I have also read they are re-badged Glow-worms for Travis Perkins. The GC number will say which yours is.

Sponsored Links
Done some more digging :LOL:

Hepworth owned Glow-worm. Vaillant bought up Hepworth in 2001, so taking over Glow-worm.

According to the Sedbuk database, the Ikon 23T (GC 47-047-11) was manufactured by Hepworth, i.e Glow-worm.

That would explain why everyone appears to have manufactured this boiler! :LOL:

I think you're right with Hepworth, as that seems to be the most frequently used on the internet and part centres.

Thanks for digging that info out for me :cool:

It's a dog of a boiler. Manufacturered by Hermann.

The diverter is a right PITA to change. AFAIR the plate heat exchanger has to come out and one of the nuts is a pig to get to.

Might want to throw it at BG on their new fixed price deal. Could be lucky and get a numpty that under estimates the job. :)

whats up with the diverter valve? if its the just the diaphragm it can be replaced in situ(just, very tricky) which saves the massive pita job of removing the whole valve, which is easiest done if you remove it still attached to the plate he. PRV is a standard caleffi and often cleanable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back