Safe extension recommendation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies as this will be a bit of a numpty question... but.... Had a scare tonight when my daughter appeared from her bedroom holding a cheapo hairdrier that had been plugged into a bog-standard extension lead and had started sparking and scorched her bedding ! The cable had been crimped and perished by the look of it - and it must have cost all of £5.99 from Tesco ! Dread to think what might have happened if had happened in a different timeframe.
So anyway... moving on.. what should I get to replace the extension lead. At least it will be individually switched sockets with clear instruction to switch em all off apart from the eternal mobile phone connector of course. Is there anything else I should consider getting (apart from a smarter daughter) - are there RCD protected extensions that would offer more safety? Or RCD plugs for normal extensions ? Dont think surge protection helps in this regard ? All advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
If the house is RCD protected, you don't need or want another on the extension lead. You'll only have two to reset.
What ever you get regular maintenance or inspection will prevent frayed cables.
Why individual switches? Switches on extension are often poor quality. Removing unused plugs is much better isolation. Most countries don't even have switches on sockets.

Thanks. Yes the consumer unit has rcd's - the upstairs power circuit didn't trip ! I will just get a better quality switched extension block - Belkin?- and encourage her to pull the plugs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back