Safe in their hands?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
England’s NHS plans to share patient records with third parties
55m patients have until June 23 to opt out of having their health data scraped into a new database

https://www.ft.com/content/9fee812f-6975-49ce-915c-aeb25d3dd748

England’s NHS is preparing to scrape the medical histories of 55m patients, including sensitive information regarding mental and sexual health, criminal records and the abuse of adults and children, into a database it will share with third parties.

The data collection project, which is the first of its kind, has caused an uproar among privacy campaigners, who say it is “legally problematic”, especially as patients only have a few weeks to opt out of the plan.

NHS Digital, which runs the health service’s IT systems, confirmed the plan to pool together medical records from every patient in England who is registered with a GP clinic into a single lake that will be available to academic and commercial third parties for research and planning purposes.

Sponsored Links
That form is confusing as it talks about not allowing data to be shared outside the GP practice.....

But what about a hospital given permission to look at the GP records?

Presumably if you sign the form, they would not be able to?

Sponsored Links
That form is confusing as it talks about not allowing data to be shared outside the GP practice.....

But what about a hospital given permission to look at the GP records?

Presumably if you sign the form, they would not be able to?
Myself and my family have had the data opt out for quite a few years.

I have just called our surgery and it still applies as regards data not being shared with third parties.

But essential medical record data will be shared with hospitals should a person be hospitalised or information required at A&E, which is obviously the right thing to do.

Page last reviewed: 10 July 2019

I wouldn't rely on that to make your decision.

Facts are clear get an opt out for yourself from your GP and the NHS digital as well.

This opt out has no bearing on sharing data with the GP and Hospitals.

This new data grab is to create a separate database of everyone records so that companies can data mine.

Myself and my family have had the data opt out for quite a few years.

I have just called our surgery and it still applies as regards data not being shared with third parties.

But essential medical record data will be shared with hospitals should a person be hospitalised or information required at A&E, which is obviously the right thing to do.

I think you are referring to the summary care record.

That opt out does not apply to this opt out - your GP is misinformed. They are separate opt outs.

Can somebody please post links to the two forms you need (GP and NHS) so anybody visiting this thread knows what to fill in?

Will all the data be accessible through the 'covid passport' QR code?

The covid passport is something different.

Your medical data is with the NHS Hospitals and your GP.

The Government now wants to create a new database with your records from the GP and Hospital and then give access to it to companies like Google, Insurers etc. Anyone who wants to pay the admin fee to access the data.

Sponsored Links
Back