Safe to disconnect?

Sponsored Links
You can disconnect at the bayonet part.

Very questionable that a flexible hose is allowed for that connection though.

What goes under the hob?

Tony

In theory it's safe to disconnect it yourself but it really should be tested to make sure it isn't leaking once it's disconnected. Buy yourself a can of leak detector spray at least.

As Tony has suggested, however, it would be very unusual for your installation to comply with current regulations - almost all hobs require connection in rigid copper pipe rather than a flexible hose

Current regulations mean jack diddly squat, what matters is that it complete with what the manufacturer states!

All most all, except the majority that don't!??????

Personally I would be wary of taking advice from a guy that advocates crushing gas pipes in vices to get them behind soul stacks...Hi Agile.x

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

So, in theory it's ok to remove it but if the connections/parts are faulty it could leak so best to get it done properly.

Under the hob is a drawer then a cupboard unit.

The gas fitting was probably installed as an afterthought by the previous owner when they had a bit if work done.

I'm refitting my kitchen and the hob being in-situ is preventing me doing a lot of jobs, so I want to remove it.

It has these connections at either end, are either safe to remove with alteration/capping?

Are you refitting the hob? I would suggest that regardless of what you choose to do re disconnections, get someone in to fit it properly. The pipework is a mess and the hose should hang smoothly and freely - if it is permissible to use.

Indeed - that pipe work is a total abortion. I would be surprised if there wasn't a leak on it. And the bayonet fitting certainly needs to be better supported than that.

The whole lot's illegal work. Get the new hob fitted by a gas-safe eng. and all done in copper.....no hose permitted. There should be an isolating valve and a guard under the hob if a drawer/cupboard units under it.

If your going to comment at least get the regs right. Were do they say no hose permitted ?

Hose has always been used on free standing cooker along with chain restraint, make it easier for cleaning behind.

Hob fitted to worktop is to have rigid copper pipe with gas cock.

Hob ain't going to move so what the point fitting a hose? It is a bodge job.

It is a common sense.

Daniel.

Hoses have not always been used on free standing cookers stardanny cookers used to be fitted solid on half inch iron.

As for common sense that and regs they dont always go hand in hand but if someone is going to quote something then get it right

gas112";p="3111537 said:
Hoses have not always been used on free standing cookers stardanny cookers used to be fitted solid on half inch iron.

Before it became mandatory to use a flexible connection on a cooker, it was actually only allowed if the cooker had wheels!

Were does it say its mandatory to fit a flex on a cooker ? you can still solid fix them if you want .

Re wheels i would disagree there as many cookers back then still had skids or just wheels at the back and we used to fit wheels ie movalock bases to assist pulling them out because they were so bloody heavy and would rip lino etc

Been looking on Internet and what I found so far:

Flexible cooker hose is to be fitted to non-fixed cooker eg free standing. Rigid pipe is not allowed on free standing.

Rigid pipe must be fitted to gas hob only if the oven is under. Flexible cooker hose is not allowed on gas hob with oven under.

Flexible cooker hose is allowed on gas hob if there is no oven under and just a cupboard space as long it is protected.

So, I think it would be better to have rigid pipe on hob no matter if there's an oven fitted under or not.

All free standing cookers to be fitted with flexible hose no matter if there is wheels or skid or just feets.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back