Safely drilling wall near light swith?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I want to screw an intercom receiver above a light switch, but don't want to screw it into any live cables. Here is a picture of the general area:

Here is the backplate taped on the wall:

And the intercom:

I have a 4 in 1 stud and electrics detector, although I've lost the manual. I get some beeping in the area, but it's difficult to know what's going on.

Any advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you drill directly above this you're bound to hit the cable

Where are the fixing holes in that intercom and how much wider is it than the lightswitch?

i wouldn't risk it pal, it doesn't weigh alot so why not use double sided sticky, could turn into a bigger job

The thing weighs a ton, so sticky tape isn't going to work. I've added a couple of pictures to show the size of the intercom.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you fit it to along side the switch thus avoiding any cables going to the switch. In that situation the most likely route for cables to the switch box would be in an upward direction, so as Chivers 67 says, it is highly likely you will hit a cable. Plus the cable for the phone will not dangle over the switch & annoy you (or is it wireless?)

Where is the power coming from for the cheapo unit?
Going to take it from the light switch?

You could get some flatish wood that's wider than the switch but narrower/smaller than the intercom.

Mount the intercom back plate on that and mount the wood on the wall with screws that would be drilled either side of the safe zone above the switch.

And the power to it................
The 4 wire connection from the door unit?
6 if you need a release?

Even if it was the wireless jobby you still need POWER.

~PS did you pay more than £80 for it?

To be honest even if I get it on the wall it's still going to be a pain at the other end (the buzzer).

FYI I didn't pay more than 80 for it and the power was going to come from an adapter on the other side of the wall.

Mount the intercom back plate on that and mount the wood on the wall with screws that would be drilled either side of the safe zone above the switch.
Yes - that will work, as it is impossible for anybody to have installed the cable from the light switch except within the vertical zone for it.

If it were me, and I really wanted it there I would:

1) Look in the box to see where the cable appears to go.

2) Carefully , without power tools, expose the area behind where the intercom would be to confirm that the cable does indeed run between where the holes would be for the bracket.

The making good would be hidden by the unit.

I assume this is a solid wall.

As Ban indicates, making a small hole where you think the cable is, or alternatively above or below where you propose to drill holes, is the best way. I would use a hammer and flat screwdriver, with the power off, but be CAREFUL. Hopefully the cables are in conduit to reduce the chance of damaging the cable.

If there is a switch the other side there's a possibility there may more cables buried. :idea:

That was a stupid comment about using double sided sticky tape. I never use that for anything when it comes to fixing stuff to walls and ceilings. I don't think anyone does...

If you are not sure/confident don't make any holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back