Safety Electrical Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prior to having my electrics checked out I have been told that I need to put an earthing bond on my metal bath, towel rail, lights and pipework. Can you tell me in simple terms, the size of conduit to order
1.5mm2
2.5mm2
4.0mm2

Leaning towards the 4.0 is this correct?

Sponsored Links
If certain conditions are met then supplementary bonding can be omitted. I assume a competent person has told you this requirement and are aware of the above.
If so then 4.0mm² is the smallest size you can use without the need for mechanical protection.

If everything in the bathroom is RCD protected you don't need supplementry bonding, however in an older house this is unlikely.

If you do need supplementry bonding then it needs to connect together the earth connections of all electrical circuits entering the bathroom and any other metal that is liable to introduce a potential into the bathroom (generally metal pipework) so the bath itself doesn't need a bonding connection but if the pipes feeding it are metal they need to be bonded.

4mm is the normal size for supplementary bonding connections, if you want to go smaller you have to mechanically protect it which is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Sponsored Links
Prior to having my electrics checked out I have been told that I need to put an earthing bond on my metal bath, towel rail, lights and pipework.
Are you having your "electrics checked out" for your own information (so as to facilitate decisions about any improvements or repairs may be required) , or for some other purpose? If the former, then I'd be inclined to suggest that you don't do anything until after the inspection has been done - since it's quite possible that other recommendations resulting from the inspection, if you act upon them, could remove the need for that bonding.

Kind Regards, John

Trying to put my property in order with a view to putting it on the market at a later date. Most of the house has been updated on a diy basis (industrial trained electrician) before part P came in but have been advised to bring it up to date with lastest developments before we have new consumer box fitted (with subsequent safety check) as we could find ourselves with condemned electrics and a load of expense.

... but have been advised to bring it up to date with lastest developments before we have new consumer box fitted (with subsequent safety check) as we could find ourselves with condemned electrics and a load of expense.
Yes, but that's an example of what I was saying - and itself could represent an unnecessary expense.

In a sense, you're creating a vicious circle - since the need for supplementary bonding in your bathroom (assuming there is a need) only exists until you have your CU replaced. Once you have a modern CU fitted (which will include RCD protection), and any associated attention to the main bonding to incoming water/gas pipes etc., then the need for the supplementary bonding in your bathroom will almost certainly disappear. Hence, if you do things in the order you suggest, the time/effort/cost spent on the bathroom bonding will have been wasted.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I see what you are saying. Being a consumer is an absolute nightmare you don't know who to believe or who to trust. Just been took to cleaners on a roofing job on a recommendation. Don't want to end up being told I must have a complete rewire.

When I discussed the RCD he said it didn't matter latest regs demanded this extra work. Blind leading the blind?

Yes, I see what you are saying. Being a consumer is an absolute nightmare you don't know who to believe or who to trust. Just been took to cleaners on a roofing job on a recommendation. Don't want to end up being told I must have a complete rewire.
No-one can force you to have a complete rewire. Someone undertaking an inspection would merely list the 'defects' and/or failures to comply with current regulations and make recommendations (indicating the urgency of attention for each of them) - then it's up to you to decide what to do. There certainly is no compulsion to bring things 'fully up to current standards' per se - a high proportion of installations are not fully compliant with current regulations, and that is not necessarily a problem.

Kind Regards, John

When I discussed the RCD he said it didn't matter latest regs demanded this extra work. Blind leading the blind?
It sounds like it. In contradiction to what you were told, the 'latest regs' (since 2008) specifically say that if all circuits in the bathroom have RCD protection (and if a couple of other conditions are satisfied - which they usually are) then supplementary bonding in the bathroom is not required. Prior to 2008, the bonding would have been required, even if there RCD protection was present.

Kind Regards, John

I think you would be better off waiting until your house is on the market and you get/accept an offer and the buyer has any surveys/inspections carried out at their own expense. This may, or may not, highlight any concerns/problems which you can then choose to ignore/rectify/negotiate to a satisfactory conclusion.

Trying to pre-empt these issues before they arise may simply incur unnecessary expense and sleepless nights. There seems to be an almost obsessive belief in the need to bring everything up to current standards to sell, which is nonsense.

Make the house attractive to buyers, of course, but let them decide what they do or don't like - no need to second guess them.

It sounds like it. In contradiction to what you were told, the 'latest regs' (since 2008) specifically say that if all circuits in the bathroom have RCD protection (and if a couple of other conditions are satisfied - which they usually are) then supplementary bonding in the bathroom is not required. Prior to 2008, the bonding would have been required, even if there RCD protection was present.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, when we put the ensuite in prior to 2008 we had the bond and a shower consumer unit but the bathroom is 'as was'.

I think you would be better off waiting until your house is on the market and you get/accept an offer and the buyer has any surveys/inspections carried out at their own expense. This may, or may not, highlight any concerns/problems which you can then choose to ignore/rectify/negotiate to a satisfactory conclusion.

Trying to pre-empt these issues before they arise may simply incur unnecessary expense and sleepless nights. There seems to be an almost obsessive belief in the need to bring everything up to current standards to sell, which is nonsense.

Make the house attractive to buyers, of course, but let them decide what they do or don't like - no need to second guess them.
Yes, I agree to an extent but with things like electricity and such like if there is a some disaster whilst you are in occupation you may find yourself uninsured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back