Sale Of Goods Act

A claim of what, about what, when what happened? :confused:
I bought fridge freezer for £340, it broke down after 14 months, retailer told me to clear off and pay the Hotpoint £80 call out, nothing to do with them, I quoted SoGA, retailer said tough, I wrote back, they wrote back said tough, forced with either going through courts I gave up and paid £80 Hotpoint call out. Hotpoint turned up and deemed FF unrepairable and offered me a new replacement discounted FF at £140. I spoke to retailer again and threatened legal action if they didn't refund me the lot, again quoting SoGA, they agreed to repay me the £80 + £140 less £50 for the years use I'd had out of the original FF, I agreed, sent of receipts for call out and new FF and they coughed up.

Sponsored Links
If I may summarise:

Your appliance had an out-of-warranty fault that rendered it uneconomic to repair. You succeeded in claiming a refund, less £50, under the provisions of the "SoGA". You haven't said at what point you referred to the retra recommended code of practice, but since the f/f was only 14 months old it's unlikely that you would have had to rely on that.

Steve's TV has not yet been found to be uneconomic to repair, so this is a different situation.

Has the OP tried this with the light off? (re the CFL comment)
and the sensor window covered over?

(and have you looked under every seat to see if someone is actually sat on the spare remote :D )

just one thing to try regarding the remote..

if it is a remote that has no indicator LED, you can test to see if it's sending a signal by pointing it at a digital camera - even if you can't see it, it should be visible on the camera screen..

you could then find out if the remote is giving a constant signal out.

in addition, a cheap 'one for all' remote could check the function of the TV - got to be cheaper than phone calls and petrol to PC world to find out which part is faulty..

Sponsored Links
or more simply cover the ir window with tape, if it still does it then its the receiver.

personally we've been jinxed with tvs over the last 4 yrs. we had a toshiba 32" went tits up at 2yrs but it had been changed once under g/tee.
32" goodmans lcd again changed once under g/tee, went tits up @ 18mth
32" hitachi lcd replaced once all ready from new.

trouble is ive been too ill to fight it, rather cough up than have the fuss.

yeah i know more fool me :oops:

You haven't said at what point you referred to the retra recommended code of practice, but since the f/f was only 14 months old it's unlikely that you would have had to rely on that.
I never said I had referred to it, I was told that I should refer to it to help form a case for the small claims court which I did'nt need to do in the end. Obviously Consumer Direct would disagree with your opinion.

I've had a fantastic run of good luck with my tv's.

They've all given sterling service.

I have a 1999 Sony Trin 21", a 2001 Philips 21" & a 1987 Mitsubishi 27".

The reason? These are all well-built "old-fashioned tv's with a build quality you can feel...

All working as they should, apart from the on/off button on the Sony, from which the spring was snaffled by one of my offspring... :evil:

I never said I had referred to it, I was told that I should refer to it to help form a case for the small claims court which I did'nt need to do in the end. Obviously Consumer Direct would disagree with your opinion.
Here's what you first posted on this nuance:

Expecting a tv bought these days to last 10 years these days is indeed absurd. That said, it ought to last good deal longer than 18 months. I understand where you're coming from Softus but whatever else it states on that page I was advised that I should, if necessary, use the extract regarding periods of time electrical items should last in supporting a claim.
You say "whatever else it states on that page", but you can't ignore the definition of the all-important term that you claim is relevant.

The term is "life expectancy", and the retra definition is as follows:

Life expectancy is the length of time a product would reasonably be expected to be able to be economically repaired where the spare parts are available.

So you've referred to a retra page which is all about life expectancy, but you want to ignore the retra definition.

Consumer Direct would not disagree with what I've written, because it isn't my opinion. You might think that my interpretation is wrong; if so then you're not thinking clearly.

If you like Softus, Consumer Direct must have given me poor advice, strange as it was their advice that guided me to getting a part refund.

If you like Softus, Consumer Direct must have given me poor advice, strange as it was their advice that guided me to getting a part refund.
There's nothing strange or poor about any of it, save your pathetic and incompetent attempt at using litotes.

There was nothing wrong with their advice, at least according to how you've relayed it, but you chose to use only part of it in your own successful claim.

You subsequently attempted to apply the same advice to Steve's situation, which is different to yours. He therefore needs to read not only the parameters of life expectancy that are relevant to his appliance, but the definition of the term "life expectancy". You say that he doesn't need to read the latter, and yet it defines the very thing to which you referred him.

Softus, i dont understand half your words, why go so interllectual ?

Say things in simple terms please if you will,if i start to not understand what people mean, i tend to lose intrest in the thread. Learn to speak proper england please :LOL:

I don't think you had a good motive for mentioning litotes.

Sponsored Links
Back