Salmon Rushdie

Sponsored Links
Just been reading about it, blood spatter on the screen. If he dies , murderer is in line for $3million plus payday.
Not much use to him if he spends the rest of his life in prison or, potentially, sitting on death row!

... We need more public figures to be critical of islam alone, rather than critical of all religions.

Don't be silly, that would inflame tension between Islam and
Everyone else.
For public figures, in a constitutionally Christian country, to criticise only Islam, would only inflame tensions between Christianity and Islam.
It's highly unlikely to inflame tension between Islam, and, say Buddhism, Hinduism,, etc.

Same sort of thing happened in France over that cartoon caper

Plus some teachers were threatened over some school lesson

If I recall one teacher was bumped off ??? Or attacked ???

Sponsored Links
It seems he may loose an eye. Stabbed in the liver and nerves in an arm severed. He's on a ventilator.

It seems the use of the word Fatwa in tems of death Iran etc is incorrect.
A fatwā is a legal ruling on a point of Islamic law given by a qualified jurist in response to a question posed by a private individual, judge or government. A jurist issuing fatwas is called a mufti, and the act of issuing fatwas is called iftāʾ

I give a sh1t.

As long as someone isn't doing anything illegal, they should be free to openly analyse, discuss, criticise and even ridicule religions. NO religion should be exempt.

In open democratic countries we'd be going down a very dangerous path if we started to encourage people not to do the aforementioned things, not just with religion but with anything.

Otherwise you're on the slippery slope to living in some form of dictatorship.

So your ok with freedom of speech to mock the holocaust? Or for me to walk upto your mother and mock her in the street? Or for someone to openly mock the deaths of British troops? Or for someone to mock and ridicule a child dying of cancer?

Is that the type of freedom you wish to promote?

So your ok with freedom of speech to mock the holocaust? Or for me to walk upto your mother and mock her in the street? Or for someone to openly mock the deaths of British troops? Or for someone to mock and ridicule a child dying of cancer?

which of these people do you favour stabbing in the eye?

Those examples are REAL things

There was some lady talking on the radio from India she is a journalist / author

Many Indian authors / journalists have been attacked for what they have written plenty have to whatch there backs

J K Rowling has reported an on line threat to plod today

She posted a message of support

And was told don’t worry you are next ??

So you want to be selective with freedom of speech? How would that work? As long as someone isn't communicating something that is illegal in the eyes of our legal system, they must be free to communicate it. You are conflating the manners, politeness and moral aspects of communication/speech with what is legally right or wrong.

I'll say it again, be very careful what you wish for around further restrictions on our freedoms. Before we know where we are, we'd have less and less of them.

So you want to be selective with freedom of speech? How would that work? As long as someone isn't communicating something that is illegal in the eyes of our legal system, they must be free to communicate it. You are conflating the manners, politeness and moral aspects of communication/speech with what is legally right or wrong.

I'll say it again, be very careful what you wish for around further restrictions on our freedoms. Before we know where we are, we'd have less and less of them.

Insult a black man, it's racism.

Insult a Jew, it's Anti Semitism

Insult a gay guy, its homophobia

Insult a Muslim, its freedom of speech

...and that's really all there is to this debate.

The hypocrisy is truly astounding.

Sponsored Links
Back