Salus rt500rf receiver faulty - red light but no green light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I also like to thank you stem for your brilliant explanations.
I tried everything you said in the first post and the second, but the bottom light on the receiver won’t turn from red to green. The only thing I didn’t do is reset the fraquancy. The link you posted to the manual doesn’t exists anymore and can’t find one online.
Any idea what I could do?

Thank you

Attachments

• D82EA5BF-D1AA-4CBA-8868-9A660038544B.jpeg
    D82EA5BF-D1AA-4CBA-8868-9A660038544B.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 78ED5BBF-9665-4AA7-8938-3B8D63894EC2.jpeg
    78ED5BBF-9665-4AA7-8938-3B8D63894EC2.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,443
  • 65C6FFB5-FE48-44B0-BA1D-899532ABD5C6.jpeg
    65C6FFB5-FE48-44B0-BA1D-899532ABD5C6.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 943
Sponsored Links
The frequency won't need changing if it has been working. Both units will be set to the same frequency and will communicate. The only reason for changing the frequency is if your heating is being switched on and off by another Salus in a nearby property on the same frequency.

I notice that the battery symbol is showing 'low' in the bottom right hand corner of the display in your first picture. So the battery may not be strong enough for the thermostat to communicate with the receiver.

Fit a new set of batteries. Then press and hold both the 'up' and 'down' arrow keys simultaneously. (don't worry if you hear a low whistle when you do this) After a few seconds the display will go blank. Once it has gone blank release the arrow keys, wait a couple of seconds and then press either of the arrow keys once. The display will reappear.

Does it work now?

Hi stem, thank you so much for helping. I’ve changed the batteries and followed your instructions. I think I did that yesterday too. Still not picking up the signal.
I think in my desperation I pressed the reset button on both the boiler and the thermostat.
I also found a manual of the thermostat and receiver last night and the only thing I haven’t done yet is set the address code new. Is that the frequency? I did have a power cut before, when a light bulb went and the fuse came out. Maybe that effected the system?

Yesterday I arranged for a friend to check the address code settings later today.

But if you have any more ideas of course I’ll try anything.

Thank you

The address code settings are selected using the manual DIP switches and jumpers on the receiver and thermostat. So that the two devices can communicate with each other on the same frequency. If it used to work and you haven't changed these settings then it should still be OK. You can't accidentally change the RF address, it is done by physically moving the DIP switches & jumpers.

Usually the reason for changing the RF address would be if something else is interfering with your thermostat. What generally happens to make a change necessary, is that a thermostat will switch the receiver 'on' and 'off' as it should, but it also gets switched 'on' and 'off' by something else, usually another Salus in a neighbouring property set to the same RF address (usually both have been left on the factory settings)

However, there's no harm trying changing the address, but you need to set both devices to have the same one. The instructions tell you how to do this, but it is important to follow the instructions to the letter so that every step is carried out and in the right order. There is a link to the instructions here.

in my desperation I pressed the reset button on both the boiler and the thermostat.
I'm not sure about the boiler reset, but the thermostat reset shouldn't cause a problem other than you loosing the time / temperature settings that you have entered. Even if the boiler was disconnected the receiver should still switch on (green light) when the thermostat tells it to, and that's still not happening.

I did have a power cut before, when a light bulb went and the fuse came out. Maybe that effected the system?
It shouldn't have damaged it even if it lost power. It is would be very unusual for the Central heating to be connected to the same fuse as the lighting anyway, but even if it was and fuse blew, it shouldn't have caused a problem really,......but if that's when it happened, nothing else has changed, and all else has failed to fix it, it's looking a distinct possibility.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I also like to thank you stem for your brilliant explanations.
I tried everything you said in the first post and the second, but the bottom light on the receiver won’t turn from red to green. The only thing I didn’t do is reset the fraquancy. The link you posted to the manual doesn’t exists anymore and can’t find one online.
Any idea what I could do?

Thank you
The red light doesnt change to green it is always red , it just means you have power at the receiver, the green light above the red light in your pic is on which means it is receiving the signal from the thermostat and there is a call for heat, its either faulty or something else is stopping the boiler from coming on

Hi Ian, thank you for that information. And btw the boiler does work i think as it starts working frequently and it also produces hot water. But for some peculiar reason the radiators don’t start.

the HW means that the boiler is working, sounds like your receiver is faulty and not switching, it is not a binding problem as the green light is on so the thermostat and the receiver are talking to each other but sounds like the relay in your receiver is not switching, see it a lot with that brand they are not great, if you have someone that is happy with electrics, inside the receiver there will be a live and neutral from the fused spur next to it, possibly a parked earth also and then 2 other wires which are the switch wires to the boiler, if you join these two wires and the boier now heats the radiators then you need a new receiver unit

If the green light is on I would be tempted to give the receiver a (gentle) thump.

I agree with the above. When you said
the bottom light on the receiver won’t turn from red to green.
I took that to mean that the green light wasn't lit on the receiver. If there is a green light on, then the thermostat is telling it to switch on and they are communicating with each other.

Red light on = Power on to the receiver
Green light on = Receiver told to switch boiler on by the thermostat

11EDFCC3-EBF6-49DB-AB60-C025B150F8CE.jpeg
Hi sorry to jump on. I’m having same issue. However on the back of the transmitter The span part there is no jump switch in that, is though above on the 7-5:2 bit. Would this stop it from sending signal to transmitter? Have done all above. It’s my daughters house and she pregnant and cold!!!

you will have to start your own post dont hijack an old one if you want the correct help

I know now what the problem was. There is a switch inside the boiler switching between hot water and heating, which was stuck. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back