Sand and Cement - Mixing very clay like?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been putting the patio down today and bought some sand and cement from b&q and when its mixing up its coming like clay. Very sticky and not motor like at all.

Ratio: 4 building sand 1 cement

Any idea's?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Paving slabs should be laid with sharp sand and cement.

Sharp sand is not at all clay like, in fact it is the opposite.

thanks for your quick reply.
Yeah i ended up buying some sharp sand and mixing that in with the building sand to make it better.

I dont get why the building sand was mixing so bad with the cement, it wasnt like it was old materials all brand new today from b&q and it was fresh on the shelves. Surely buiders dont use this to make walls? its very orange.

Sponsored Links
Paving slabs should be laid with sharp sand and cement.

Whenever I've done slabs on five spots, I use building sand (or at least more building sand than sharp if mixed) as this sticks to the slab better

Sharp sand if a full bed as it levels easier than building

I have always found getting hold of a reliable source of sharp sand extremely difficult. Even from the same builder's merchant, the properties of the sand I buy can vary considerably from one month to the next. I know that there are supposed to be some British Standards on the grading of sharp sand, but I don't think most builder's merchants sell sand that conforms to them. The clay-like consistency you describe is what I would expect from what I'd call a "bad batch" of sharp sand - i.e. probably not sharp at all.

Our local Buildbase sell some soft sand they call Hanson. Its disgusting but sticks like s*** to a blanket. Ive never bought it again!

I have always found getting hold of a reliable source of sharp sand extremely difficult. Even from the same builder's merchant, the properties of the sand I buy can vary considerably from one month to the next. I know that there are supposed to be some British Standards on the grading of sharp sand, but I don't think most builder's merchants sell sand that conforms to them. The clay-like consistency you describe is what I would expect from what I'd call a "bad batch" of sharp sand - i.e. probably not sharp at all.

Its not sharp sand im having a problem with its building sand. This isnt the first time i have come accross this. The last time i did any brick work the sand and cement was like this.

Could somone give approx water needed for 4:1 sand and cement plz?

Cheers

You can't really tell someone how much water to add because it depends how wet the sand is. The more cement you use in the mix the stickier it gets. Yellow building sand is usually the best, and adding plaz helps.

thanks for the reply, where is the best place to buy yellow building sand.

whats plaz by the way?

where is the best place to buy yellow building sand.
Well, up 'ere in t'north the building sand ain't yellow, depends on the quarry obviously, but invariably tis red.

I'm on the right side of the pennines but I suspect over yer side where the rose is t'wrong colour you may struggle sourcing yellow sand ;)

That mix sounds like it is down to sand not being washed, ie still has a lot of clay in it from pit, cheap normally used for blinding over hardcore not very good for building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back