SATA SDD disappearing or corrupting often

I'm not sure I understand the question. Let me try though. I fitted the 256GB NvMe SDD and installed Windows 10. That became Drive C. That all went fine.
Then a few days latter, I bought the ITB SATA SDD drive and fitted that where the old SATA HDD was. That became Drive D.
I redirected the downloads folder from Drive C to Drive D and then that was that. I formatted Drive D to NTFS before I fitted it, I think....if I remember correctly! Does this help to answer your question or have I been silly and forgotten something important?

I can't see anything wrong with that.

Out of interest, are the drives encrypted?

It might be advisable to put the drive in a caddy and see if it behaves.

Alternatively/additionally see if the manufacturer of the drive has a utility program to test it and if there are any firmware updates.

eg

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

Sponsored Links
Some SSD's can't handle sudden power loss well. Every time when that happens, you must do "chkdsk /f" on it. If the drive disappears, that can mean lots of stuff have been queue up in the SSD itself and the SSD is busy sorting that out. In that case, you will have to just wait for it to finish. Usually this can be done by powering the SSD on with the data cable disconnected, and leaving it like that for a few hours. If you can't easily disconnect the data cable, then just keeping PC and drive on for a few hours might work. The best way to avoid this problem is not have sudden power downs. Power down should always be done using the Windows 10 shutdown option.

Generally I shut down by using the windows 10 shut down option. But, if I close the lid of the laptop, it goes to sleep but stays 'on'. Would this cause trouble for the SSD? Because that is the only thing I can think of in this situation.
It still gives me trouble in relation to not storing files correctly. A video file that plays perfectly on a pendrive, won't play at all if I copy it across to the SSD. And the same with PDF's. And if I download them from emais it is the same. They don't seem to be saved in readable format.
The whole idea of getting SSD's was to have more speed and less problems with data loss, but the opposite is happening,

What make of SSD is it? If possible, try it in a different PC. If same, then it's time for warranty replacement.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The NVMe is a western digital drive and the SATA SDD is an ADATA SDD, which shows up as a Kingston drive in my machine.

I am guessing the problem is with the adata. You can either test it on another PC or create a fresh copy of windows in another boot partition and test using that. The problem could be the hardware or the OS. Testing the drive with another installation of OS will rule out the OS.

You could: take out the WD drive. Install windows on the ADATA, and just run with the ADATA.

Or: create a second boot partition in the WD drive, boot into that, and use the ADATA. This arrangement is complex and you can mistakenly destroy your original OS installation.

I guess the simplest solution would probably be to whip out the ADATA, put it in a USB caddy and test it in windows 10 externally. Would I use Disk Management to do that, or is there a better option

If the drive is already formatted, windows 10 will pick it up automatically. If not, the drive will be available in the drive management. Doing it this way won't rule out a broken OS.

So it could be windows 10 that is corrupt?
So a reinstall might sort it out? I have no problem reinstalling from scratch

Or maybe I should just to a full format of the ADATA drive. Not a quick one but a full long format

Just have adata in the laptop, and install fresh windows 10 on it. Run with that for a few days. If the problem still happens, then the drive is defective. No need to do full format.

Thanks for this advice I think that is what I will do. It is probably the quickest and easiest way to find out. If the drive works this way, could the NVMe drive actually cause the ADATA drive function badly?
And if the fresh installation works fine on the ADATA drive, would it be worth trying my original set up again. Install windows on the NVMe and point my downloads folder to the ADATA drive, after a format of course.

If the adata works, you will have to repeat the same process with the WD alone in the system. If that works, then it's likely your existing windows is broken or virused or MS f*ed up. They once killed 3 of my SSD's simultaneously. I blocked them and no more problems - but this is for pro's only.

I've just installed windows 10 on the ADATA and so far it seems to work just fine? Does that mean hat the WD NVMe is bad? Or is it more likely that the windows OS was correupt? Of course, I will need to give it a few days to suss it out properly

If the adata gives you adequate performance, then use that as the OS drive and the WD as an add on. You can then install games and apps that need performance on the WD.

A fresh install of windows 10 might not be up-to-date - up-to-date with the latest MS bugs and problems that is. Make sure it is fully updated before you assume everything is ok. Do that and test for a few days before adding back the WD.

Sponsored Links
Back