Saw a cat killed yesterday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parked up, got out my car, heard a 'thump' and thought probably a car going over a pot hole. Turned to look, saw something writhing in the road. Took me a few secs to realise it was a cat. I was going to a nearby house to pop something through letterbox. Did that. When I returned a woman was standing in the road looking down at the (now dead) cat in despair. She picked it up and carried it to the pavement. She was distraught and said to me 'It was me who hit it. I couldn't do anything, it came from nowhere.'

I'm no cat lover but seeing the animal take its last breath wasn't a pleasant experience. Thankfully for its sake, I think the time from being hit to passing away wasn't long.

Sponsored Links
I saw one of my cats get run over outside our house. She died instantly.

I can't describe how I felt, it was awful. She must have been about 15.

RIP PK (Pussy Kat).

The only thing that cheers me up is that I rescued her (and her brother) in 1990 and gave them both a really good life.

He lived to nearly 18, IIRC.

Last edited:
I ran over a wild cat years ago when driving on the motorway. It dashed out from nowhere, there was nothing I could do (that wouldn't have endangered myself and my passengers) other than drive over it. Not a pleasant sound. Strangely enough when I parked up there wasn't any sign of the cat on my vehicle, nothing. However when driving back the other way a couple of hours later, its remains could be seen on the other carriageway. That's the only time in my 30+ years of driving that I've hit an animal and will hopefully remain the only time.

Poor wee thing.
I did the same to a cat in Edinburgh 40 years ago.
I had just passed under the railway bridge at the junction of Abbeymount and Abbeyhill when it ran through the railings and into my path, there was nothing I could do to prevent it.
I was driving a Bedford CF350 so it was immediately flattened into a road pizza.

Sponsored Links
We also adopted a couple of cats, one of which was the sweetest most loving tom (after PKs brother) ever. Sadly, he had heart and lung disease and had to be put down.

We currently have an RSPCA rescue called Albus, which is mad because he is more black than white.....

He's a real character who demands that people open the door (or window) to let him in and out, despite him having a catflap that activates via his neck chip.

Similar experience to op.
It's a horrible experience but there is nothing you can do. Was 30 years ago and I'm still feeling it.

I had just parked up to go to a job when a cat jumped out of a hedge and was hit by a local taxi which stopped then drove off, I picked the still alive cat up in a towel and drove it to a vets about 5 min away, got seen by the vet streight away, but unfortunately they couldn't save it. I went back to where the accident occured and knoked on doors untill an old boy came out and said it sounded like his, I told him it was round at the vets if he wanted it back he said he would bury it in his garden and thanked me for my trouble, next stop taxi office and confronted the callous tw*t of a driver, he sh8t himself and went and hid in the office threatening to call the police if I didn't leave. Im such a softy where animals are concerned.

Here's Albus having found a large empty paper bag...

IMG_20230310_180435_HDR~2.jpg

He's a real character who demands that people open the door (or window) to let him in and out, despite him having a catflap that activates via his neck chip.

They all seem to do that. If I'm around, mine demands the back door to be opened, even though the flap is right next to it. A previous tabby refused point blank to use the new flap I took the trouble to install - and from that point on treated it as his personal window despite lots of training and enticement. He was an older cat we'd rescued so probably set in his ways and never used one before. "Dogs have owners - cats have servants."

Sponsored Links
Back