Sciatica - how long does yours go on for?

Sponsored Links
Stretch exercises, lots of them. I have had sciatica half my life.
Spot on with that. Sacral alignment, tight piriformis/hammies etc. Stretching is essential. I bulged a lumber disc doing silly arse heavy squats, a few years ago. Too old and going for that 1RM that I did probably 5 years earlier. Age and laziness had left me no where near flexible/strong enough. One butt wink later, 9 months of pain and huge muscle loss on right quad.
I learnt a lesson. I had always thought when people were suffering from Sciatica/bad back they needed to "man up". Lesson learnt. Even just driving brought me close to screaming. Bloody nightmare. Hope you avoid too much more trouble.

I had awful back probs 15 years ago, (two slipped discs)took me a good few years (may be 5) to pretty much get back to normal.

Still occasionally get little reminders, one being a bit of sciatica, starts off in the buttuck then if ignored works down the leg till I stop trying to ignore it . The one thing that helps is a hard foam roller, see this youtube video 1:10 to 1:20

When I do this I can feel knotty bits deep in the muscle, I keep going (painful at first) until the knotty bits go and it feels comfortable, doing this will usually get rid of the sciatica for the rest of the day, or may be many weeks.

Backs are complex things and no two bad Backs are ever the same so what works for one may not work for another. just have to try differant things until you find what works for you.

Sponsored Links
I suffered chronic lower back pain for a couple of years and despite physio, steroid injections and pain killers, nothing would fix it. I had full flexibility, could touch my toes and move about without problem, but I could not stand still for any length of time or lie down flat without excruciating pain. In the end I raised a big stink with the GP and managed to get a CT scan. Diagnosis was inflamed facet and sacroiliac joints. A simple prescription of ibuprofen gave instant relief.

Seems there are a few different "initiators" all for sciatica:

Lumbar Herniated Disc
Degenerative disc disorder
Lumbar spinal stenosis
Piriformis Syndrome
Sciatica joint dysfunction
Additional common causes of the sciatica: injury, (pregnancy etc).
Better get a scan of some sort.

F***

The NHS is so incompetent.
My GP is too thick.
You get one good one, now and again.
I've been under BUPA before, they just milk it, "trying" everything under the sun while making as much ££ as they think is available.
Private for diagnosis, NHS for treatment, I guess.

I had some bloods done at the local hospital couple of weeks ago.
Made a GP appointment and asked if they had the results -
No.
So I had to phone the hospital to ask them to send the results to the GP.
I asked for one of the levels, but they wouldn't tell me. Why not, it's my record, not theirs!
Then had to call the GP again to make sure they had arrived.
FFS.
Heroes my arse.

Lumbar Herniated Disc
Lumbar spinal stenosis
Piriformis Syndrome

F***

My GP is too thick.
I've been under BUPA before, they just milk it, "trying" everything under the sun while making as much ££ as they think is available.

No.
I asked for one of the levels, but they wouldn't tell me. Why not, it's my record, not theirs!
FFS.
Heroes my arse.

Gotta be worth a 30% pay rise. If they do decide to go on strike, who the **** would notice?

Lumbar Herniated Disc
Lumbar spinal stenosis
Piriformis Syndrome

F***

My GP is too thick.

No.
FFS.
Heroes my arse.
you can request specific blood results or your whole history even in writing and compare your results to recommended levels. Do not take their word, and definitely don’t take the word of some jumped up sarcy receptionist who thinks the sun shines out of their backside.
You should get specific results from every blood test you have.
These clowns are playing God with people’s health .

I've had them from the gp before, 20p a sheet for copying. Hospitals have consultants though. You aren't allowed to impinge on their aura.

It's got worse.
Back-scratcher thing to get a sock on.

Has anyone had an operation to try to relieve theirs?
There are various places nerves can get pinched.

I'm already maxed out on Gabapentin for sth else. Generalised arthritis impedes so I take codydramol and ibuprofen.
FFS and I thought I had it bad! How on earth do you manage on gabapentin? I'm on 600mg a day, a lowish dose, for neuralgia (believe it or not, as a result of surgery to cure another issue!) and that knocks me on my arse most evenings - the missus says I go out like a light at times.

BTW if you want one of those packages - sock putter-onner, thingy pick-up, etc I bought one when I had my op, but found I didn't need it, so you'd be welcome to it

It's got worse.
Back-scratcher thing to get a sock on.

Has anyone had an operation to try to relieve theirs?
There are various places nerves can get pinched.
I wanted an operation (and could have had one privately) but my doctor advised me that although operations are good in the short term you will almost certainly be left with long term niggling pain from scar tissue - and those who choose not to have surgery are usually far better off after 5 years.

It took me many years to get back to normal after my disastrous 2 herniated disks, femoral nerve crushed to one leg and the sciatic nerve to the other (MRI read like a horror show) I have now pretty much been pain free for the last 7 years, landsacped my whole garden and average 125 mile a week on the bike. Feel fitter than I did in my 20's

I had a disc op 30 years ago. Been seeing oesteopaths/ chiropractors, physio etc off and on for years. Last 5 years gradually getting worse. Now my right foot doesn't always obey the commands and I trip regularly using a stick if I go out cos at least it stops me face planting. Having said all that I can still tackle most tasks except catching the grand kids!

FFS and I thought I had it bad! How on earth do you manage on gabapentin? I'm on 600mg a day, a lowish dose, for neuralgia (believe it or not, as a result of surgery to cure another issue!) and that knocks me on my arse most evenings - the missus says I go out like a light at times.

BTW if you want one of those packages - sock putter-onner, thingy pick-up, etc I bought one when I had my op, but found I didn't need it, so you'd be welcome to it
I take 3 x 800mg a day. Neuralgia in arms & legs. I'm not very good at taking them though. I refuse to take more though they aren't entirely effective and the side effects are 5hitty. Rather put up with some random electric shocks, knife and shotgun attacks.
A box of those and a bottle of vodka would cure it. Some days...

Thanks for the offer, I'll see how it goes.

You could try Pregabalin. It was developed by Pfizer in response to Gabapentin. They altered the drug but included the same active bit. The side effects are quite different. Typically the dose is lower and some report the analgesia is more effective.
P was the most prescribed drug in the uk a few years ago, in response to the opioid problem.

The odd thing is, I've been reading up, they "aren't effective for sciatica".

Sponsored Links
Back