Scrap etiquette

Why is it you are fleecing customers for £70 quid an hour then dom? google can't answer that.
Still waiting for an explanation.
Do your customers know you pa-troll a diy forum giving abuse to all and sundry? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
With a highly desirable 'thanks' to 'posts' ratio like Norcon has (sarcasm), it looks like this thread has changed from talking about scrap to looking at carp (sp) posts from Norcon.

I'm not from darn sarf and rarely work there but I understand how these rates can easily be justified, but why should it? It's nothing compared to what companies such as BG charge per hour but people think they are the bees knees.

Going back on topic, I can remember reading a thread on here about a guy swapping parts on boilers, leaving the parts with the customer to prove a part has been changed and that it is not been used to repair another boiler. The engineer received a letter from his local council in essence stating, as he replaced the parts, he is therefore responsible for the correct disposal of said parts. Going off this, tradesman are responsible for the disposal of all waste generated by their work. This incurs increased charges for the tradesman in terms of vehicle insurance, waste disposal licences, public liability, time taken to dispose of the waste (unpaid), etc. etc.

It costs more to have work carried out by the book!

James.

Sponsored Links
Just had a couple of tyres changed on the van today. Who keeps the old tyres?

James.

Whoa there 4 pages since I wrote the original question! Well I don't want to offend anyone so won't be asking to keep the scrap. For me it was mainly the cylinder and only 6 year old Worcester boiler I was thinking about.

As for why I'm getting rid, well there's several reasons:

The boiler is only 6 years old but the rest of the system is original (25 years old). The pump is making noises and ideally needs replacing. Ive bled it many times so it's not air causing it.
Noisy pipes throughout upstairs banging away as system heats up and cools. Banging away in middle of night drives me mad. A lot of floorboards need lifting to re-clip or re-pipe as necessary.
Magnaclean has been sited in a silly place (on the flow to the cylinder) at a high point so it it is ineffective at collecting any sludge and fills with air every couple weeks. Needs relocating.
Most radiators need changing as they're not the convecting type and have a lot of paint on them.
It's a 3 bed house (9 radiators in all) and when the system calls for CH and HW, it takes an age to get the radiators hot. The 12kW boiler is efficient in that it keeps bills low but I feel is under specced.
I've had the 3 port valve replaced and ballvalve recently. I know these aren't overly expensive jobs, but I feel I'm throwing money at an old system. The gate valve off the HW supply has seen better days and looks like it'll leak next time it's turnd off.

Of course I know I could get the pipes re-clipped, the magnaclean re-sited and the radiators changed whilst keeping the same system, but I just think I might as well get the pipework altered now and get a combi fitted, otherwise I'll have the rigmarole in a few years of getting the system updated. Comments welcome of course. I'm well aware my gas bills will go up, shifting from the 12kW at the moment to a likely 28kW boiler, but this seems standard for a combi.

I have just priced a job where there is a perfectly good boiler in the garage that is less than 2 years old.

My estimate specifically says that I will remove the boiler carefully for the customer to sell on if desired.

The rest of the rubbish we will remove by arrangements. Whether it is scrap or not is neither here nor there really.

The boiler, although a brand I loathe very much, is far to new and easily removed for it to be binned so I would rather it go to another home rather than the scrappy.

I wonder how much I could have had knocked off t'bill if I took t'old tyres?

James.

You probably could have negotiated a reduction in your bill if you were to get of your old tyres as you will have been charged for their disposal. Unlike copper and brass, old tyres have no value and no-one wants them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back