Scratches on plastic bodywork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a prang a couple of weeks ago which caused lots of fairly deep scratches on my wing, which is plastic, and my door, which isn't.

Followed instructions about sanding round them with coarser and then finer grit wet and dry paper with washing liquid and water.

Got rid of scratches.

However, now the paintwork's dry, there are large pale coloured patches all over where I've sanded. Most embarrassing. Wonder whether using rubbing compound will eliminate it or make it worse (my guess is not the former).

When I wet the patches, they virtually disappear - would that mean clear coat would solve the problem? Reluctant to get a can of touch up paint as they're not always the best, especially on metallic (it's silver). I know a proper job requires a body shop, but I haven't the cash and if I can fix it myself, I'd be thrilled.

Sponsored Links
If when you wet the area and it then looks relatively ok, then I would invest in a can of clear coat as you suggest, it's not going to make it any worse (provided you spray it correctly with no runs) it will add protection to the paint, so yes try it!

Wotan

Yep, I agree that sounds the way to go. If you are prepared to get in there with the wet and dry paper, you've nothing to lose.
John :)

Thanks for helpful advice.

Applying correctly means... several light coats, keeping the can parallel to the surface to avoid loading in the centre... anything else I should be aware of?

Do I need to sand between coats? And is there any place for the rubbing compound I bought - should I use before spraying, or between coats, or at the end before waxing. Or not at all?

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to keep it hidden from my petrol-head neighbour who may giggle at my amateur efforts!

Sponsored Links
A couple light coats, and you shouldn't need to sand down in between.....
degrease the surface, and only paint when it is warm with minimal moisture.
Let us spray......

Bless you, my son.

I'll let you know how it rolls. Look out for question entitled - 'clear coat didn't work - how to strip it off and apply silver paint'.

:LOL:

Brightens up a dull evening :D
Live long and prosper and may your runs be trivial. (Paint runs, that is)
St. John :D

PS...

Degreasing - fairy liquid or something like white spirit?

Now all I have to do is wait for a warm dry day. In Yorkshire. :eek:

There is a solvent called pre paint available - personally I just use brake cleaner which is toluene based. It evaporates very quickly and leaves no trace.
I guess this project will commence around July..... :p

It's 2 degrees in Yorkshire tha' knows!

Besides. I like to be thorough. Have now been further confused by being to to use autoglym super resin polish rather than clear coat. Any views?

I know, you hate me, dontcha. But to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.

That was positively the last question.

Autoglym is an excellent product and it does well what its supposed to.
However, you do need a lacquer coat first!
Unfortunately when aerosols are used, the area at the outside of the spray cone is mottled as the paint dries, and polish here just amplifies the issue.
No harm in trying it though, but remove all trace of it if you intend to lacquer or paint.
In case you are wondering, I'm the worlds worst paint sprayer, bar none... :p

Sponsored Links
Back