Screed on chipboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye thats the only reason i had that sig on there to give people confidence in what i say. It dont do any thing for me as i dont get work of this site. Anyway. You only need to use 25mm ply if replacing chipboard . You can use this method and then pack your joists to get level. Take it you have stud walls and bathroom fitted on top tho, so can be alot of work to take chipboard up. If your going with levelling compound you can get away with 6mm ply if doing a 5mm+ screed and your chipboard subfloor is stable without bounce. If you have bounce in the floor you may need noggins put in and thicker plywood. Thing is you have to take up chipboard to put extra noggins in, so may as well put down the 25mm ply if doing this. If floor is stable just go with 6mm ply and compound. You can put down 12mm to be on safe side , but this is normally over floor boards.

Sponsored Links
One other thing. Dont use a plywood made in china. Been a few problems we been working on. The plywood coming over lately is made with a tropical hardwood that is leeking oils after install, which is causing glues, compounds etc to blow of the plywood after fitting.

Cheers again, Matty.

Yes I give a thought to taking up the chipboard but it would cause to many problems. It is very stable and I cannot notice any bounce whatsoever (It is in the coner of the house upstairs so I can imagine it should be solid there. I personally think it is solid so thanks again. Ill go with the 6mm.

All I have to do is lift the remaining screed which is solid and then lay the ply - what a horrible job. Sticky said seal the joints with Clauk. Well I have silicone and seeing the reason to clauk the joints is to stop the screed getting beneath I think silicone would do the same job. Dont you agree?

Cheers

Ant

no. Levelling compound wont stick to silicon and also can damage primer while setting! Follow the sticky. Make sure you use fibre reinforced compound to. And make sure you mix as it says on bag. very important. Also make a template of room. Be more easy for fitting plywood.

Sponsored Links
yo' matty i meant no disrespect, and i do complement you when i say you know your onions.

people have benefitted from your advice, and that is a good thing.

but a sig' is read every time you post. you'd be better off saying something comical or self effacing.

non taken. Like i said before, the sig was only there so new people on the forum know they can trust my advice. There are plenty of people on here giving out wrong advice or should i say was giving out wrong advice. You dont know who you taken advice off if your new around here do you. Could be joe 90 :LOL:

Ok no problems, Matty. I will use Clauk. I can get some tomorrow. Being a plumber I thought fitting a bathroom was easy. I didnt realise the tiling would cause so many problems. Well the floor anyway.

Cheers

Ant

Hey Matty,

Got the rest of the screed up. I flew through the last part. I used a 24v Makita with hammer only action and a compatible sds plus bolster type tool to take the rest up and they flew up. Not only that, very little dust to. So there's a way to let others know who cock up like me lol.

I have got the Caulk and 6mm Ply. My intention is to lay it around the 'to be' screeded area. I am also going to use steel counter sunk screws, about 25mm I believe. Are these ok?

Having trouble trying to find some Flexible self leveling compound. Been to builders merchants and B&Q. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Ant

Guess your screws will be o.k . can use ring shank nails tho. About 22mm depth will do. As for compound you need to contact f ball or company called uzin. You need uzin 175 with primer to match. Think pe360 but not sure as no info in front of me.

Hey Matty, Cheers again

Contected F-ball. I have got Stopgap 700 Flex with P131 neoprene primer to match. 52 quid in total. Going to put the plywood down now. I take it you mean straight out the bottle when you say apply P131 Primer 'NEAT'.

Cheers

Ant

mattysupra said:
Ye thats the only reason i had that sig on there to give people confidence in what i say.

Blimey, you're now a cowboy floorer, you can't win can you :?: :LOL:

Ye neat but i would just check with f-ball to be sure. In case anything has changed lately. Im a bit rusty on f-ball products as (belive it or not) i dont use them. The products i use are very hard to get correct , hence i tell people to use a more friendly and trusted u.k product. (which are still dogs ding dangs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back