Screw fell out of uPVC butt hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a misaligned uPCV external door with butt hinges (not sure which manufacturer, but is 3D adjustment type).
hinge misaligned.jpg

The bottom hinge is clearly out of alignment and recently a small screw fell out the bottom - my guess is that it has just worked loose over time. I have tried to push and screw it back in but it just doesn't seem to go.

hinge screw.jpg

I tried to take a picture from underneath and it looks like the main pin is out of alignment. I've no idea how these hinges are assembled, so not sure how to get this back in (or has the bottom screw actually just sheared off? Can't seem to find any assembly guides online for these types of hinges).
hinge bottom.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. a "normal" hinge with the screw in the bottom looks like this:
normal hinge.jpg

Sponsored Links
Good news is its not snapped , thats the bottom adjusting screw that adjusts the actual height of the door. Unless its cross threaded it should go back in . You may need to just open the door , look at the centre of the hinge and you should see a small allen grub screw , undo it , then tap the hinge pin up , through the hole of the missing screw, when its up a bit you should be able to screw the bottom screww back in , tap hinge pin back in and refit grub screw

Good news is its not snapped , thats the bottom adjusting screw that adjusts the actual height of the door. Unless its cross threaded it should go back in . You may need to just open the door , look at the centre of the hinge and you should see a small allen grub screw , undo it , then tap the hinge pin up , through the hole of the missing screw, when its up a bit you should be able to screw the bottom screww back in , tap hinge pin back in and refit grub screw

Thanks. I had looked at it last night and convinced myself it had sheared off, as I can see that when I rotate the top of the pin there is no movement of the pin when viewing from below (my third picture). Therefore if the top pin wasn't connected to the bottom part I assumed this screw sheared off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back