Screw head too small for bracket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have now purchased a Rigifix kit in order to mount my TV on a dry-lined wall.

Problem is, the holes along the top and bottom of the bracket are larger than the head of the screw that came with the Rigifix kit. and so obviously the screw wouldn't be able to hold support the bracket alone.

I assume this is where a washer comes in? The bracket came with some washers but assumes they will be used with the big headed bolts that also came with it.

So my question is... Would any washer be ok? Or any particular size be needed?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Any washer that effectively increases the diameter of the screw head should work fine - may not be so pretty though!
Are you certain that the screws you have are meant to be used in those holes - or somewhere else?
John :)

Any washer that effectively increases the diameter of the screw head should work fine - may not be so pretty though!
Are you certain that the screws you have are meant to be used in those holes - or somewhere else?
John :)

Thanks for the reply John.

I assume I have to use the screws that come with the Rigifix kit as the ones that come with the bracket wouldn't fit inside the Rigifix bolt.

I guess I could buy a screw of the same size as the Rigifix one but with a bigger head maybe :confused:

Cheers

You need what ever fixing will go through the bracket & is man enough for the job. The bigger the better, but its a firm fix you are after.

Sponsored Links
Seems small, what size/weight is the tv?

Sounds small to me too, each Rigifix fixing is quoted to take like 100Kg or something silly though, with these screws. I guess because they go into a strong bolt and wall plug.

The TV is a 55" LED TV and it is around 24Kg

what length are the screws :?:

They are approx 1 inch long and the shank of the screw is around 4 or 5 mm.
The head of the screw is around 1cm

They can't be for fixing the bracket to the dry lined wall then. Your going to need something far more substantial than that to hold a 24kg tv up. I'd say you'd be looking at 3" deep fixings at least, (so they go into the brick/ block work behind the dry wall)

They can't be for fixing the bracket to the dry lined wall then. Your going to need something far more substantial than that to hold a 24kg tv up. I'd say you'd be looking at 3" deep fixings at least, (so they go into the brick/ block work behind the dry wall)

Oh no, they go into a Rigifix fixing in the wall. That comprises of a hard nylon wall plug something like 10cm into the brick. Into this a M6 bolt is tightened which expands the inside of the nylon plug like a normal rawlplug would. The bolt is tightened flush to the plasterboard. And then the little screw is meant to pass through the bracket and tightens into the inside of the bolt.

So that is where the problem lies. The screw passes right through the bracket and hence I need to know what washer to use or a bigger head screw :) can't use bigger shanked screw cos I'm limited by the fact it has to fit into the bolt

James,
Now that the screws are explained (I hope you use plenty of them) - yes find a washer that just fits over the shank of the screw and is a lot bigger than the hole in the bracket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back