Screwdriver bits - can anyone recommend a decent quality set that's NOT made in china?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In other words a set that has bits that are of a high quality and won't break? Even DeWalt and Bosch sets (for example) are made in china and get their share of bad reviews due to malformed and breaking bits.

Are there any good quality sets made in the UK for example?

Sponsored Links
My Bosch and DeWalt bits don't break unless I abuse them, e.g. using a non impact PZ2 that's only ever driven screws in, to back out a 6x150 PZ3 with an impact driver

You might need to be more sensitive to the limits of the tools

I have had a box of Makita PZ2's for about 3 years now and only had to change one tip because I used it on the wrong size screws.
Also, make sure you have the drill lined up correctly. A lot of people have the drill at an angle which causes the tip to not sit correctly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought cheap chinese-made bits in the past which are understandably rubbish, therefore today I thought I'd browse Amazon and some other sites and look at the reviews. Inevitably there are some bad scores which usually cite badly made bits and breaking bits, so I decided to ask here for advice.

Sponsored Links
Some stock of Dewalt driver bits sold at Toolstation and Screwfix are made in Germany.
Go at the counter when it's quite and ask them to have a look at them.

...cheap ... understandably rubbish,

Customers demand low-quality goods at low prices, and manufacturers are willing to satisfy the demand

I'm sure Chinese steelmills are capable of making good quality for the customer who specifies it and is willing to pay for it.

Incidentally, the Nickel mining industry has been waiting for this to happen, because so much Chinese steel, including stainless, is made without nickel added and so is deliberately cheap, soft and weak.

I generally check for chrome-vanadium steel in tools, for most purposes it is quite good. Wickes often have some good sets. Impact bits are made of a harder alloy to delay wear, but it is brittle and can crack.

Yeah, I should have been more specific in my criticism of chinese goods - the country is more than capable of making high quality products but, of course, we in the west 'demand' low prices meaning that quality takes a nosedive and we get garbage that lasts no time at all. Electronic goods are of course also badly affected; poor designs mean early failures, as do cheap components which mean that a part costing just a few pence can cause a device to fail after relatively little use. What happens then? The failed item is often binned, so increasing the amount of Electronic Waste.

The thing is that buying the cheap items usually costs more money in the long term - it's a bit like buying a pair of cheap shoes that last only six months, then buying the same cheap shoes again, and six months later yet again, and again ....... when a more expensive pair would have lasted many times longer yet only cost twice as much, therefore saving the buyer money.

I know that times are tough (although penny pinching has been around for a very long time) but we do ourselves no favours by wasting money purchasing cheap and nasty garbage that isn't fit for its intended purpose.

Sorry, went on a minor rant there ........

Yeah, I should have been more specific in my criticism of chinese goods - the country is more than capable of making high quality products but, of course, we in the west 'demand' low prices meaning that quality takes a nosedive and we get garbage that lasts no time at all. Electronic goods are of course also badly affected; poor designs mean early failures, as do cheap components which mean that a part costing just a few pence can cause a device to fail after relatively little use. What happens then? The failed item is often binned, so increasing the amount of Electronic Waste.

The thing is that buying the cheap items usually costs more money in the long term - it's a bit like buying a pair of cheap shoes that last only six months, then buying the same cheap shoes again, and six months later yet again, and again ....... when a more expensive pair would have lasted many times longer yet only cost twice as much, therefore saving the buyer money.

I know that times are tough (although penny pinching has been around for a very long time) but we do ourselves no favours by wasting money purchasing cheap and nasty garbage that isn't fit for its intended purpose.

Sorry, went on a minor rant there ........
All correct apart from
the country is more than capable of making high quality products
They only produce shyte that lasts 2 minute at best.

If you insist on buying cheap rubbish, they will supply you.

An astute buyer composes a detailed specification, and uses inspection and test to verify that the goods meet it.

Do you think that when Toyota place a multi-million contract, they pay for substandard components?

Obviously they are much better at buying quality than you.

A few months ago, I purchased some Vessel JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdriver bits. Lovely quality. I had to order them via Aliexpress though as I couldn't find anyone that sells them in the UK.

Pozidriv and philips, I have been happy with the likes of Wera and Wiha, and Festool. I don't think that the country of production is the issue, it is the specifications that the manufacturer works to that will determine the longevity of the bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back