Screwfix Community Forum

Supposedly, they are re-sharpenable, but I wouldn't even try.

HSS surface planer knives are re-sharpenable -most can be honed in situ there's enough room, with a diamond honing plate.

I used to hone surface planer blades upto 4 times before changing them -mind you that's on an industrial machine with more access. I could do it in about 10 mins.

Sponsored Links
HSS surface planer knives are re-sharpenable -most can be honed in situ there's enough room, with a diamond honing plate.

I used to hone surface planer blades upto 4 times before changing them -mind you that's on an industrial machine with more access. I could do it in about 10 mins.
I don't doubt you, but on the SIP machine, I don't think there is sufficient room to get the angle, and with only a few millimetres showing above the rotating block, space is decidedly limited. To try and sharpen them out of the block, there's not a lot to get hold of.

I saw a guy making up a guide to sharpen/hone them on YT.
Gawd! Such a faff getting a perfectly straight piece of mahogany or oak then putting two precisely angles cuts in it 1.6mm wide to accept the blade. Too tight and it won't go in, too slack and it would wobble, slightly wrong angle would cause the blades to blunt quickly or dig too deep.
The time lost trying to make the jigs could be re-couped 3 times over by just buying a new set of blades!

Forum still down. The mods there are quite delicate souls, I doubt it's taken much to make them throw their toys out of the pram.

Sponsored Links
Back