Screws for steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to fix a key storage box to a steel support holding up a carport roof.
I assume the best way is to use self-tappers. Is it just any or are there special ones for steel (can't be big screwheads as they'll need to fit inside the little MasterKey-type thing).
And is the best way to drill into the steel a kind of pilot hole narrower than the screws then drive the self-tappers in?
Any answers gratefully received, as is any additional advice people might have!

Sponsored Links
Self drilling screws are ideal. Hex head which are used for corrugated sheeting or envelope cladding are idea but they're often hex head with a rubber skirted washer which may hinder the installation of such a thing. Otherwise you can get self drilling gyproc like screws which would do the job. With self drilling you don't need to pilot but if you end up using a self tapping screw it will be easier to pilot first, definitely.

I'd go for nuts and bolts. Use Coach Bolts with the head on the outside, they have no hex or slot to unscrew.

Self tappers, you could hit the points with a hammer to punch them out, if you were a burglar.

I'd go for nuts and bolts. Use Coach Bolts with the head on the outside, they have no hex or slot to unscrew.

Self tappers, you could hit the points with a hammer to punch them out, if you were a burglar.

Well seasoned thieves don't really need keys.

Sponsored Links
round my way we mostly get teen crack heads.

If your roof supports are thicker than say 3mm, you'll be going some to get self tappers in - although you will succeed if you get the pilot hole just right.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back