Screws pulling out of wall (curtain pole)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like incorrect/poor wall fittings have been used. The ones you get in the little plastic bag when you buy a curtain rail or anything like that are woeful.

Hard to tell, but looking at those wall plugs they don't look up to the job. What type of walls do you have (plasterboard, brick, etc.)?

If you have plasterboard walls, you want the ones which fan out. The Fischer ones are good and grip very well. If you have brick walls with render/plaster on, then you just need good, quality wall plugs designed for the size of screw you're using.

Thanks very much CWhaley, my wall is brick wall with plaster on, but obviously the screws are not inside brick and plaster is soft and can't hold the screws firmly. Now how to do it? Can I put some cement inside the plaster hole? I had difficulty to drill the wall.

Sponsored Links
If the plugs are only going in as far as the plaster (which sounds like it's old anyway), then it's not going to secure the pole properly. Old plaster/render will just start to crumble/crack as soon as any weight is applied such as the curtains and also when they are pulled on.

Personally I would get longer plugs (40 or 50mm?) and use these instead. Drilling into the wall shouldn't be difficult with a decent bit and drill on the hammer function - just make sure there are no wires/pipes under the surface. Then simply tap the plugs in and use appropriate screws to fix them up.

If you really didn't want to drill any holes, you could fill the holes with a mastic/adhesive such as Gripfill and push the plugs into this. Let it set then re-screw the rail up.

I had difficulty to drill the wall.

please post a photo of the tip of the drill (bit) you were using.

It should look like this

ae235

Not like this

ae235

Does your electric drill have hammer action?

I would like to say a big thank you to Cawhaley, your answers are very helpful. Also thank London Mike 49 and JohnD. I think I need to buy a good drill bit, drill itself is from Lidl which should not make differnce, but bit does.

Holes too shallow , should be easy to drill so drill or bits need replacing.

Maybe drilling the holes, the OP may have hit the lintel behind the plaster this could be the reason the wall plugs are not up to the job.

Hammer wooden dowel into hole, screws into wooden dowel. Throw the plastic wall plugs away.

I don't know how old the property is but as you are most likely drilling into a lintel it will either be a concrete one that will need to be drilled with a SDS drill. In this case I normally start the hole by drilling with a combi drill with hammer function (because the SDS drill can be a bit fierce to start with) then the SDS drill (6mm for a red plug) to slightly over the depth of the screw.
If you have a catnic steel lintel, drill a 3mm hole then put a self tapping screw into that (normally a No8 screw about 40mm long ).

Mike

If it is the lintel, then it can be a pig of a job if you havent got the right equipment , a basic DIY Hammer Drill will not touch it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back