scuffing noise from zafira gears

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not posted on here for years. Hopefully someone can shed some light. OK 1.6 petrol zafira2004. 100k on the clock. New clutch last year (march 2013). Over the last few weeks I've noticed a scuffing noise with a whining coming from the front when driving. When coasting it's not apparent. Only when the car is under load. It seems to be worse in 4th gear. It doesn't effect the motor at all. Because it's not there when coasting am I right in thinking it isn't the drive shafts? Reliable garage has looked at it and said they couldn't tell what it was. The bearing sound when depressing the clutch when stationery doesn't change so can I rule the clutch out too? Its doing my box in now, Especially as the wife wants to go away for a week in 4 weeks. Any pointers? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless its very loud I wouldn't worry about it, in times past most cars used to have some sort of whine from the gearbox or axle, now they are quieter but you can still get noisy bearings. If the whine is at a constant pitch regardless of the gear you are in, it will be the diff or layshaft bearings, if it varies according to the gear it will be elsewhere in the gearbox. The only thing you can do is check the oil level, to do anything to it would be a gearbox out problem, if its not bad it could go on for many thousands of miles.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back