SD Cards: Confusion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are Micro SD cards the same as Micro SD HC?

If not, does anyone want a 4Gb Micro SD HC card and reader, made by Kingston? :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
SSparks,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroSD

The SD and SDHC share a similar form factor, but not all devices are compatible with the newer high capacity format.

Try it and see if whatever you were going to use it in (camera etc) accepts it.
Just check that the camera will accept 4GB memory cards. (look in the manual, it may say max size, if not give it a test)
It will not harm the equipment so try taking a few pics and seeing if they show up on the PC.

dave

I bought a Micro SD HC to put in my son's mobile. It won't go in one way round, and the other way round it won't latch.

Is it physically different??

Secures, as Dave says, the cards are exactely the same shape and size. The difference is the newer 'SDHC' cards are not compatible with all devices... yet. There should therefore, be no 'physical' reason why the card won't fit. Are you sure it's not a Sony M2 one that you need?

A Sony M2 card looks like this...

16836_1237566419.jpg

A Micro SD and/or Micro SDHC Card looks like this...

12095_1230647603.jpg

As you can see, they are different but the Sony is called a 'Sony Memory Stick Micro - M2 card'.

Sponsored Links
Sony erricson phones take the M2 cards. Most other devices use SD cards.

Yes, my K800i has an M2 card.

Having fiddled a bit more, I got the Micro SD card to fit. I was being too gentle and it wasn't locking home.

First time I tried, I pushed in the card and let go. It pinged out at 90 mph and shot behind the filing cabinet... :rolleyes:

All is OK now. Thanks to all for all your help.

Back