SEALED SERVICE FUSEBOX! - HOW CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound like a really weird problem, but i have just been broken into and some thieves have stolen my main household fuse (the one only accesible by the electric company, with the anti-tamper metal wires), and i have a friend in the trade who says he will fit it for me if i can get hold of one. The electric company are trying to charge me through the roof, and my insurance company wont pay out. Does anyone know how i can get hold of a replacement main fuse. Any pointers or suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
bad move telling the lectric company about it they know now and they could hold it against you in future

insureance wise its a tricky situation: it's not yours but it's in your property and therefore to some extent at least your job to keep it secure

my electric box is by the font door, so all they did is cut the led wire, and pull it out. I have no power at all in my house now, so i need a solution fast. Do any hardware shops sell them at all?

Why on earth would someone nick that? :rolleyes: Surely if it blows the electric company replace it anyway?

I doubt you'll find them in DIY shops as your dealing with the mains coming into your house before it hits the consumer unit/RCD, which probably isnt a 'DIY' job.

My electric box is right by the front door too. How much are thy trying to charge you, out of interest?

Sponsored Links
hmm
that wire will either be live,destroyed by the current or on a blown fuse

as its an outside meter box i really think it is the recs responsibility

btw i'm told that with publically traded compaines invester relations is often a good route for gettting in contact with upper management ;)

I honestly dont know, all it is is a copper pole, its not an actual fuse, i think theyre all pretty universal to all propertys. They said it willc ost £50 consultation and they were unsure how much the fuse was going to be. As i say, i have a friend in the trade who will do it for free s long as i get the fuse for him. Any ideas????????

If the service fuse was outside the property, I can't see for the life of me how they can possibly attempt to charge you for replacing it. As previously mentioned, it's their property, not yours. They should have the necessary insurance for damage to/theft of their property. It's akin to BT trying to charge you if someone drove into a telegraph pole outside your house.

Hi, the service box is actually inside my property, next to the main ON/OFF switch for the whole house. This is the problem im facing you see.

Jon..where the service box is located is IRRELEVENT.

It is the property of the Supply Company, and as such they MUST replace the fuse.

If the fuse holder is missing, then you have a dangerous situation as there is exposed live parts.

You have a Police report for the burglary I take it.

Simply say this to the supply company.

The Live cable coming into my property is exposed as the fuse holder is missing, this situation is dangerous, and you have THE LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY under the ELECTRICITY SUPPLY ACT 1989 to ensure that it is made safe.

If you have small children stress this too them, and state you have no hot water or heating as your boiler does not work as you have no power. Tell them that they are legally responsible for not responding to an electrical emergency connected to their property and that if they fail to replace the stolen equipment you will be taking legal action in the morning.

Don't speak to the f*****g idiots that answer the phone, they are probably in Bangalore, demand to speak to a manager.

thanks for that mate, dont worry i do understand the potential danger of the live wires. I live with my girlfriend, so we are staying away from the house tonight. I will be phoning them in the morning. Cheers

Simon212 said:
Why on earth would someone nick that? :rolleyes:
In case the victim has a mickey-mouse burglar alarm?

It is bizarre.

jonnyt - was anything else taken? Light bulbs? Sockets?

Simon212 said:
Why on earth would someone nick that? :rolleyes: Surely if it blows the electric company replace it anyway?

I doubt you'll find them in DIY shops as your dealing with the mains coming into your house before it hits the consumer unit/RCD, which probably isnt a 'DIY' job.

My electric box is right by the front door too. How much are thy trying to charge you, out of interest?

Thieves will steal anything unless it's nailed down.

Now that the electricity supply industry has been disaggregated it's more difficult to pin down responsability. Responsibility for the termination lies with the local Distribution Network Operator, not with the electricity supplier to whom you pay your bills.

What jonnyt needs is a friend that can kick ass with the DNO. Energywatch is appointed by the government to help. (Don't use Energywatch.co.uk, you need Energywatch.org.uk, as my link.

You may find that you still have to pay. You undertook to do so when you signed up for your supply.

Stod said:
You may find that you still have to pay. You undertook to do so when you signed up for your supply.

Can't make him pay. It is there property, it is a legally required safety device, and the house being locked is adequate legal precautions against interference..don't let them charge you for it.

I have come across this many times in war-torn Manchester (!).

This is a very common tactic used by house breakers. They pull out the fuse to disable all electrical security items, such as floodlights, cameras and BA's. Then, just because they are total c*nts, they walk off with the fuse.

Get a crime reference number from the officer you reported the crime to and as Jim says, give this to the REC.

Politely but firmly point out that the installation is now dangerous, and that they have an obligation to restore power to the property.
As the house stands at the moment legally it is unfit for human habitation being without heat, hot water light etc...

STAND FIRM AND TAKE NO CR*P, MATE.
Good Luck!

Your REC should have an emergency number. Use it and stress the importance of being reconnected ASAP. After all, if you were elderley, for all they know you could be dying of hypothermia (and I have seen a case like that, very sad).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back