removing main fuse for changing consumer unit

Hi, I work for a large electricity company. We have two to four injuries a year through pulling cutout fuses. All meter fitters are trained and required to use visor and gloves (although tbh they don't usually bother).

I've pulled a cutout a couple of times to do a CU replacement. Just be aware it's a real risk.
Sounds like the risk assessment isn't fully considering the risk. There's a case for some form of non-metallic clamping extension device to ensure the operator's hand is well removed from the potential danger.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the risk assessment isn't fully considering the risk. There's a case for some form of non-metallic clamping extension device to ensure the operator's hand is well removed from the potential danger.
In some cases, possibly. But in the general case I suspect a considered risk assessment would show risks added by using the device could be more than are saved. Wearing the correct PPE for the level of arc that is likely to occur - and as previously explained, the potential arc energy is a reasonably predictable quantity. The right gloves, long enough to give a good overlap with suitable long sleeves of a suitable fabric, will protect the hands and arm for long enough to make a quick exit. Similarly, the correct head and face protection will prevent serious injury to the head and face. Ditto suitable clothing to protect the torso and legs.
Apart from the gloves and face protection, the rest (if chosen properly) should be no more uncomfortable to wear than "normal" clothing. The hand and face protection is only needed for a fairly short time as MeterMan explained in post 39.

Sponsored Links
I posted these recently, this is what happened when a colleague on a site replaced a solid link into the cutout assembly onto a dead short.

It could have been much much worse.
I know it was a long time ago, but what happened there, it looks like there is no load even wired into the fuseholder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back