removing main fuse for changing consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to update my consumer unit from a rewirable to a split load. I am not sure about how to go about removing main fuse prior to this. It is a digital meter and plastic enclosure holding fuse. Can anyone advise me? Am I best to get the electric company to do this Part? What is the cost ? Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They may do it for free.

Phone the number on your bill, tell them you want your electricity supply disconnecting for a few hours while you update your wiring. They will send someone, at their leisure. Its unlikely they will make an appointment. They will call back later that day to refit the fuse.

Alternatively, if you fit a seperate isolator switch, wire some tails to the right length to it, and they may just need one visit - you wire your new tails to the meter while they are there. ;) Then you have an isolator to connect to as you wish.

This question will probably give you a 20 page answer on the legalaties of it but here goes....

You can't pull the DNO's fuse it is theirs and tampering with it is an offence (here comes the debate) you need them to install an isolator for you between your meter and existing CU.

I hope you know all about Part P etc etc...

Removing the service fuse is most definately not a job for a DIY'er, and it isn't really a job that should be done by an electrician either.

The only option that removes the chance of you killing yourself and/or doing some serious damage to property that doesn't belong to you is to call your DNO and ask them to fit an isolator between your meter and your consumer unit - it probably won't cost you more than £30.

Davy

Sponsored Links
You can't pull the DNO's fuse it is theirs and tampering with it is an offence (here comes the debate)
Oh no - it's an offence right enough.

But if you do it I suggest that prosecution is the least of your worries.

I hope you know all about Part P etc etc...
I hope he knows a great deal more about what's involved apart from just Part P....

Hmm good point, but it isn't an actual offence to do so assuming the BCO are involved. And as long as sufficient advise is given and the person carrying out the work has the correct attitude (mainly knowing his limitations and seeking plenty of advice) then changing a CU isn't a job that is outside of the scope of a competent DIY'er.

An electrician who fitted a CU for me a few years ago simply snipped the fuse seal and pulled it. When I asked him whether I would get into bother his reply was that nothing the Electricity Board could do to him was as bad as what the electrical supply would do to him if he touched a wire.

He added that he thought it ridiculous that a safety device was fitted but prevented from being used by a seal!

An extreme view but one with which I can see the logic.

When I had my CU replaced because of a loose neutral in an old RCD that has started to melt the tails and terminals, I simply phoned my DNO, explained to them that I had a dangerous installation and was having the CU replaced and needed to pull the company fuse and break the seals on on the meter (For the new tails). They said fine and made an appointment to come and reseal it. That said, from what I have read on this board it varies greatly depending on your DNO. Maybe my speaking to them prior to the event and not after helped.

Legalities aside can you guys explain whats likely to happen then if you remove the service fuse? because as a DIYr I'd have thought that if you remove the load first then nothing should happen when you pull it out.
(unless its ancient & likely to fall apart).

Legalities aside can you guys explain whats likely to happen then if you remove the service fuse? because as a DIYr I'd have thought that if you remove the load first then nothing should happen when you pull it out.
(unless its ancient & likely to fall apart).

Well if you manage to cause a short circuit or an earth fault your backup is a 400A BS 88 fuse in the sub-station. This will take out the whole street :eek:

Another result might be a nice arc flash that will shower you with vaporised copper and brass - still if you are wearing the correct mask, fire proof overalls and gloves you might be OK.

Other than that - nothing much :D

He added that he thought it ridiculous that a safety device was fitted but prevented from being used by a seal!

The issue is that the fuse is an over-current protection device, not a safety device.

A double pole isolator switch that is installed between the meter and the consumer unit is a safety device.!!

So your saying that the fuseholders are designed so badly that you can inadvertently connect them to earth while withdrawing them?

How would a "nice arc flash" be created if there is no load?

Isn't this just a bit of scaremongering?

So your saying that the fuseholders are designed so badly that you can inadvertently connect them to earth while withdrawing them?

How would a "nice arc flash" be created if there is no load?

Isn't this just a bit of scaremongering?

Some of the older ones are in metal enclosures :eek:

There's also the risk of having the fuse holder disintegrating, especially if it's stiff and needs a lot of force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back