Sealing a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have already read a number of posts on removal of bath sealant but can anyone tell me why I am having to replace so often. Within about 6 months the sealant has gone black in parts and appears to come from the inside out as it cannot be cleaned off. Under the bath is bone dry and no leaks in the drainage which I thought may be causing the problem. When I remove the old sealant should I leave overnight to make sure there is no moisture that can get trapped? I only use top quality sealant thinking that may have had a bearing. I had also heard you need to seal when the bath is filled with water. Is that still the case?

Thanks

Suzi

Sponsored Links
Make sure the entire area is dry before you attempt to reseal
Use a top quality sealant (not Unibond) :eek:
Fill the bath if its an acrylic one
Apply the sealant and allow it time to cure
Get into the habit of wiping it dry every time the bath / shower is used.....probably this is the best tip!
Periodic cleaning with bleach will also help.
John :)

It's wise to ensure that the area is completely dry before applying new sealant but also that the area has been cleaned with a mild bleach solution to kill off any remaining mould spores.
There are now a number of sealants that claim to stay mould free for many years (never tried them so can't comment really) but I have found that the best way to stop mould in the first place is to wipe the area dry after bathing/showering; no moisture = no mould. It sounds a tedious job just after a bath (and is easier said than done in a large household) but in all honesty it takes less than 30 seconds and saves the job of re-sealing every year or so. A standard sanitary silicone sealant is fine if kept dry.

EDIT:
You beat me to it Burnerman! ;)

Lack of adequate ventilation is the reason it returns, if the spores are not carried away then they grow on the sealant.You should have a permanent vent into the room and an extractor fan.

Sponsored Links
If it's just off the lorry and on the front drive / lawn, then wait until the bloke goes for a cuppa and just load it onto the back of your van with a mate..
if it's already in the house then it's a bit more complicated...

EDIT: sorry, I just realised I misread the post title... ignore the above... :)

Hi

Thank you so much. It was unibond I used the last time so will stay well clear.

I will definitely try the bleach solution and dry everything off as sounds like that could be my answer. It is far worse at the shower end.

Mr Jack - those silent t's are a nightmare!

Take care and thanks again.

Suzi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back