Seat Leon. Battery flat.

Yes. The way the multimeter is set up in the above photo looks fine. See what current reading is obtained with this. If it is 0 or less than 0.2 then change to the 200mA range, remembering to plug the red lead in to the next socket down.

To provide a feel for the significance of the measured current here. Drawing an average of 200mA from a 20Ah battery would take it from fully charged to flat in approximately 4 days.

Sponsored Links
20200430_095503.jpg Ok guys I charged the battery up to full..battery was around 12.5v, I done the drain test see pic..seems like there is no excessive amp draw as its seems normal reading..I will try the alternator test over the weekend..

If that is the quiescent reading on the DVM photo it seems high to me. 480mA current drain would flatten a 75Ah capacity battery in around a week. Were any doors open (and therefore interior lights illuminated) when the measurement was taken?

If that is the quiescent reading on the DVM photo it seems high to me. 480mA current drain would flatten a 75Ah capacity battery in around a week. Were any doors open (and therefore interior lights illuminated) when the measurement was taken?
No, I switched evrything off..doors all shut..I thought anything around 500mA was normal..i didn't start pulling fuses, think I'll do that over weekend..
Where is the side box fuse panel in engine compartment? I can only see the main fuse box. I was thinking of removing the fuse b1 for alternator as indicated in manual for checking to see if alternator drains power over night..but cant locate the side box in engine compartment..

Sponsored Links
500mA is very high. At 12V it is 6W so a bulb seems likely - boot, glove compartment etc.

How long did you read the 480mA?
It might go down after a while when the computers settle down - could be a few minutes.

I connected battery and then done test straightaway...my boot doesnt open for some reason.. all doors open when I use remote key fob , except boot for some reason..

I don’t know if there is any connection, but you can release the boot lock by climbing through the rear seats.
John :)

Just an update guys...it was the bsttery 100%...even though it was new..took it back to shop ..tested it and wasnt holding charge.. exchanged it..started car today fine..thanks.

Battery gone flat again...car been parked up 3 days, was starting up normally prior to that..looks like another duff battery...need to find receipt for replacement

What battery is it? I normally go for one with 5+year warranty and they seem to have lasted so far..

Battery gone flat again...car been parked up 3 days, was starting up normally prior to that..looks like another duff battery...need to find receipt for replacement

No, I switched evrything off..doors all shut..I thought anything around 500mA was normal..i didn't start pulling fuses, think I'll do that over weekend..
Where is the side box fuse panel in engine compartment? I can only see the main fuse box. I was thinking of removing the fuse b1 for alternator as indicated in manual for checking to see if alternator drains power over night..but cant locate the side box in engine compartment..

No, normal discharge should be less than 50mA, but the lower the better. My car shows 20mA.

Be aware that you need to take the measurement some minutes after everything has been shut down/ doors and boot closed, because modern cars take some time for their electronics to go into maximum sleep mode - where they draw minimum current.

480mA does suggest you have a major discharge, equivalent to a 6w lamp left on. You need to work your way through pulling fuses, whilst watching the meter, to see which circuit is causing the discharge. The 6w might well be something like a boot light staying on.

I'd also check for:
Any alarm switch under the bonnet;
Any glove box lamp;
Disconnect the alternator with the meter connected - careful here the large terminal will give a healthy spark!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back