Second door bell connection

Sponsored Links
What, across the transformer output terminals?????
it's 0v without no press, 10.3v with button pressed.
NOT possible. The transformer will output 10.3 v with no load.

possibly right TTC ,maybe hes measuring between the return from the bellpush and one side of the transformer. the left 2 connections, the plan is to jump from them 2 terms to his second ding dong bell.
not sure why he is faffing about , just connect a second ding dong, job done

Last edited:
When the second chime is connected, the first does a partial ding dong and the new one does a full ding dong - hence my question about getting a more powerfull transformer. That's the only outstanding issue I have.

2 chimes will need a 2A , 8V transformer such as a Byron 7781.
The majority of doorbell transformers are 1A, 8V, which will not do 2 chimes regardless of how they are wired.

That Greenbrook thing is a non-standard 10.3V.

Sponsored Links
When the second chime is connected, the first does a partial ding dong and the new one does a full ding dong - hence my question about getting a more powerfull transformer. That's the only outstanding issue I have.
I am trying help you determine IF you need a more powerful transformer.

Any progress with your testing the transformer output voltage now?

Flame, thanks. I assume I just take out the existing transformer and replace with the you said.

Taylor, it's like I said, 0v when idle then 10.3v when button held. I'm measuring the left hand terminals. I'm at work now so will try again tomorrow but defo sure that was the reading .

Not the left hand terminals. Can you see the photo right at the start of this charade? There is the transformer and there are two arrows that point to two terminals (it says 10.3v).
That is the output of the transformer. With no button pressed you should see 10.3volts there. Do you?
When you press the button, what is the reading then????????!!!!!

Where's my Valium

He said he had 10.3 volt at the 2 left terminals with the button in, so surely across the transformer will be 10.3 minimum anyway.
Holding the button in, the solenoids will strain the transformer and the voltage may drop.
However as its a ding dong, in normal use, the thing operates for less than a second, even if underrated I dont see a problem

Holding the button in, the solenoids will strain the transformer and the voltage may drop. However as its a ding dong, in normal use, the thing operates for less than a second, even if underrated I dont see a problem
I don't think anyone is worried about 'overloading' the transformer - it's a question of whether or not the VD, with two ding-dongs, is sufficient to stop the dinging or donging working satisfactorily! That, I presume, is why TTC is trying to find out what voltage there is on the output of the tranny when 'the button is pressed'.

Kind Regards, John

Holding the button in, the solenoids will strain the transformer and the voltage may drop. However as its a ding dong, in normal use, the thing operates for less than a second, even if underrated I dont see a problem
I don't think anyone is worried about 'overloading' the transformer - it's a question of whether or not the VD, with two ding-dongs, is sufficient to stop the dinging or donging working satisfactorily! That, I presume, is why TTC is trying to find out what voltage there is on the output of the tranny when 'the button is pressed'.

Kind Regards, John

He already said
Hi it's 0v without no press, 10.3v with button pressed.

maybe im missing something.
He has measured at the Load's already and that was after he paraleled the second bell, so if he measured 10.3 volt acoss the solenoid at the first bell which is designed to run at 10.3 volt, surely that measurement was taken after any volt drop, I cannot see what can be gained by knowing what voltage is coming out of the 10.3 volt transformer.
He said the second bell works fine and I think we were told the voltage there was 10.3 volt too ( both measured with the button in)

maybe im missing something.
... or maybe I'm getting totally confused by this protracted thread :)
He has measured at the Load's already and that was after he paraleled the second bell, so if he measured 10.3 volt acoss the solenoid at the first bell which is designed to run at 10.3 volt, surely that measurement was taken after any volt drop, I cannot see what can be gained by knowing what voltage is coming out of the 10.3 volt transformer.
IF he has measured the voltage across each of the bells when they were in parallel and energised, and found the voltage to be 10.3V, then I agree that there would be no point in measuring the voltage coming out of the (10.3V) transformer - but is that what he has measured?? ...
He said the second bell works fine and I think we were told the voltage there was 10.3 volt too ( both measured with the button in)
If both bells are receiving 10.3 volts but only one of them is working properly, then presumably there would have to be something wrong with one of the bells?

If the situation is as you describe, I wonder if the problem is perhaps what happens to the voltages in the first few milliseconds after the button is pressed - something the OP obviously would not capture with his meter?

Kind Regards, John

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. when I get home, i'll measure all combinations and post on here.

Thanks Rudie.
I am trying to see if the transformer voltage drops , and to what voltage, when the button is pushed.
If it is too low then the transformer may not be man enough for the job

So with both bells attached...

The original greenbrook left hand 2 terminals...

0v no door bell pressed
7.3v pressed

Bottom 2 terminals show 7.7v pressed

New chime 0 and 3 is connected to left 2 terminals on old one.

0v not pressed on new
6.7v pressed

Hope that makes sense.

The original greenbrook has a weak ding but no dong. The new has a good ding and a good dong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back