Secret bungalows in Birmingham

Sponsored Links
There is a different planning system for selected parts of Birmingham. It's actually unwritten, and because of that to keep it simple it it's based around a simple concept of "Do what you fuccking like, we won't enforce". Having Asian councillors and friends is a criteria though.

Porches on the front that become lounge and first floor extensions, side extensions with no set back that also are built wider and deeper than policy, and then even becomes a new house. And not just one offs, once it is built, this special policy requires that several more people on the same street must do something similar.

Those bungalows breach policy right off by having no off-road parking and failing the design code. Probably several more issues if there were more detail to ponder. They also look like they will fail a HHSRS inspection too for the occupiers wellbeing. But wtf, who cares when you have friends.

What I can say is that try and put plans in for something like this will get a refusal and a long list of reasons why it does not conform to policy. Just like if you put a window in the wrong place or a ridge not low enough on a poxy side extension in other parts of Birmingham where the normal planning policy applies.

But I'm probably just disgruntled because I don't get any work from these people for plan drawing or design. But hey ho neither does anyone else, because they don't even bother having plans drawn.

Sponsored Links
There is a different planning system for selected parts of Birmingham. It's actually unwritten, and because of that to keep it simple it it's based around a simple concept of "Do what you fuccking like, we won't enforce". Having Asian councillors and friends is a criteria.

My elderly parents have suffered this with their ‘neigbours’ having permission for a huge extension which overlooks their garden on the rear of the property and a huge double garage at the end of the garden, which has an unusually large amount of human traffic thoughout the day which has nice net curtains etc, no need to guess who ‘authorised it’

The owner is clearly taking the biscuit:

The owner of the site explained that he intended the building to provide Class E type facilities (gym and shower room or store) for each of the properties on Springcroft Road and Lyncroft Road. However, upon inspection the buildings had water and electricity connections and wc connections, insulated floors, wall insulation, plastered walls and double glazed windows and doors.

The outbuildings would be used as storage for the adjacent dwelling. - I would gladly put money that within 6 months, the owner will be renting them out again.

It’s not uncommon, many sheds in Ilford have kitchen,bathroom and bedrooms.

Careful, racist remarks , don't want the forum to be shut down !

I would gladly put money that within 6 months, the owner will be renting them out again.

It's a pity that 309 MPs in a well-known political party voted against making it a legal requirement that rented homes must be fit for human habitation.

Can anyone not guess which?

Before the vote the government said that the amendment “will result in unnecessary regulation and cost to landlords...."

After the shame and derision these MPs and their party suffered, the measure was re-introduced and subsequently passed into law a few weeks ago.

' It's a pity that 309 MPs in a well-known political party voted against making it a legal requirement that rented homes must be fit for human habitation ' -well it can't have been UKIP or the Liberal Democrats !

It's a pity that 309 MPs in a well-known political party voted against making it a legal requirement that rented homes must be fit for human habitation.

Can anyone not guess which?

Before the vote the government said that the amendment “will result in unnecessary regulation and cost to landlords...."

It is already a legal requirement that rental properties are fit for habitation. There is ample legislation to control standards, the principal one being the Housing Act 2004 giving the local authority the power to enforce standards and ensure rented homes are safe and fit for habitation.

It is a pity that sections of society are prepared to rent sub-standard accommodation and fail to report illegal activity such as that highlighted above. What we need is enforcement of the existing laws not more laws that will just be ignored.

What are you talking about? There is nothing to say that three properties are not fit for habitation. This is a planning issue, not housing nor landlord and tenant

Agreed with woody. My heritage is from the Indian subcontinent in India. In my other thread (neighbours PP) they are in the cricketing rivals part of the sub continent. I personally think the attitude of certain people is selfish etc. Block paving, grand gates, massive extensions doesn’t always look good. I hope Birmingham city council act in my case. I joined the local society, ironically I’m the only person from my heritage in that. They find it refreshing that I’m doing something about it.

Agreed with woody. My heritage is from the Indian subcontinent in India. In my other thread (neighbours PP) they are in the cricketing rivals part of the sub continent. I personally think the attitude of certain people is selfish etc. Block paving, grand gates, massive extensions doesn’t always look good. I hope Birmingham city council act in my case. I joined the local society, ironically I’m the only person from my heritage in that. They find it refreshing that I’m doing something about it.
I thought enforcement can take assets out off the property . And prison sentences can be applied

I thought enforcement can take assets out off the property . And prison sentences can be applied

Once an enforcement notice takes effect and the period for compliance has elapsed, then it becomes a criminal offence not to comply with the notice.

The owner can then be prosecuted by the LPA and the potential fine is unlimited. The Courts will look at the financial benefit gained from the offence and base the fine on this. If the LPA is successful with its prosecution, it can apply for a confiscation order under the Proceeds of Crime Act to seize assets.

If the owner still fails to comply with the enforcement notice, it will be up to the judge what to do but there are quite a few cases where people have been jailed for weeks or months for failing to comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back