Secret door and skirting board, hinge question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making a secret door in a stud wall.

There will be skirting board running along the bottom of the wall and I'd like the skirting to be on the bottom of the door too, to make it look more hidden.

The door will be opening inwards so the skirting will be pivoting on to itself.

Is there any specific door hinge you recommend so that the door skirting doesn't catch the wall skirting as it opens?

Skirting is aprox 2cm deep.

Sponsored Links
In the secret door I made we used Soss hinges - good and strong and hidden, but I never did solve the problem of the skirting on the hinge side of the door - I guess you'd need a hinge that came straight outwards before rotating? I'd be intrigued to see if anyone has a solution.
I did think about making a section of the skirting out of some sort of foam so that it would compress on opening, but in the end decided it was all too complicated and didn't put any skirting in!

In the secret door I made we used Soss hinges - good and strong and hidden, but I never did solve the problem of the skirting on the hinge side of the door - I guess you'd need a hinge that came straight outwards before rotating? I'd be intrigued to see if anyone has a solution.
I did think about making a section of the skirting out of some sort of foam so that it would compress on opening, but in the end decided it was all too complicated and didn't put any skirting in!

What did you end up doing with the skirting?

The soss hinges look good, along with sugatsune.

The only thing I can think of is to have a floor hinge, so the door pivots from a few cm's of the door frame.

I ended up not putting skirting onto that wall at all. I was more concerned to not see the hinges, to be honest, as they would definitely have spoilt the illusion.
A floor hinge sounds intriguing - I suppose you could hang the skirting off the bottom of the door, so that it flaps back when the door opens? Hmmm

Sponsored Links
Some kind of pivot hinge?
bookcase.jpg

The only true solution is to make a gib door which opens on a couple of pivot pins, one at the top the other at the bottom, set in from the pivoting edge of the door by 100 to 300mm. This is how the traditional secret doors were made. Pivot pins and plates are a blacksmith or engineering shop made item.

but pivot hinges are very widely used for glass doors. Could they not be adapted for this jib door?

Who will be using the secret door ? If for children into their "secret hideaway" then consider hinges at the top so it opens like a cat flap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back