Secure to plasterboard OK? Or drill more to get brick?

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by OM2, 9 May 2018.

1. OM2

OM2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have plasterboard + insulation and then brick (I assume).

If I want to hang things up like a heavy shelf, is it OK to just use the plasterboard?
    Or do I need to drill more and get to the brick?
    Doing so needs really long screws. But if this is what I need to do... then I'll just have to do that!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

2. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not really. Plasterboard itself has very little strength and you'll probably end up with the shelves on the floor at some point in the future.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. how heavy but TBH probably be same advice as above.

5. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In shop fitting I do use those umbrella fixings for some lighter items which are flat to the wall (light boxes, sign panels, coat rails in changing rooms, etc) but I am normally fixing through double skins of new 12mm PB and I am in the habit of using copious quantities of GripFill, Sticks Like, etc. as well as putting in a lot of fixings, not two or three. Old or damp or thin plasterboard or heavy items which jut out from the wall more than 150mm or so and it's a no-no for me

• Like Like x 1
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links