Securing a roof safety rope to a wall ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Why not throw a loop around the chimney I would not use one of those brackets as you could pull the brick out of the wall.

Why not throw a loop around the chimney I would not use one of those brackets as you could pull the brick out of the wall.

Hi,

No chimney or anything else solid to tie onto.

Take the point about pulling one brick out of the wall, perhaps a longer piece spanned over several bricks, low down on the wall so its in heavy compression.

Seem those basic ring bolts are far to weak compared to the spec of the rest of the harness /rope in the event of a fall /shear force.

Sponsored Links
Have you got your rescue plan sorted out if you're relying on the harness?

And have you got a handy tree in the garden you can tie off to (over the top of the roof ridge)- avoids all that line shortening when you move across the roof

Have you got your rescue plan sorted out if you're relying on the harness?

And have you got a handy tree in the garden you can tie off to (over the top of the roof ridge)- avoids all that line shortening when you move across the roof

Hi,

Assume you mean neighbours around with spare ladders should I be left hanging, yes have good ones with extra ladders on either side.

Over the Ridge and down onto the back wall was the idea, but no trees either or anything else in reasonable line, thats why I was looking for a suitable wall anchor device.

Think some fixing going though both the inner and outer walls might be better than into a single brick as Catlad said, it could pull out.

Arrr. Yes its tricky putting a fixture into a wall that'll have a potential shock loading in a plane the wall wasn't necessarily designed to hold.

Systems I've seen at work have had a Rawlbolt type fixing with a telltale disc on them (so when they're inspected it is obvious if serious load has been applied). I've just had a quick Google- they're gert long things and the test requirement is 6kN PULL for 15 seconds. Which is a fair bit.

Think you're right about spreading the load across several bricks- how about a couple of metres of 4 x 2 drilled and fixed to the bottom of your wall with a hole through it so you can thread your line through? Fixed with sleeve anchors or something of that ilk.

You'd need to be careful fixing through both skins if you have cavity walls- if you overtighten the studs you might get the skins moving towards each other. Which would be unfortunate.

Good luck- you've got a nice day for it :D

Hi,

Just a follow up question about wall anchors; been trying out a length of 50mm angle steel 5mm thick fitted with several 75mm wall anchor bolts to the brick wall just below the dpc ( 8ft of bricks above it, all in good condition)

Although bricks do have some vertical holes I have been able to drill into some solid areas, though not for all anchor bolts, but they all seem to have secured well.

However do wonder if they would be better served by using the Resin and bolt method which would help fill /secure against the hollow areas of the brick.

Do not have any experience of Resins or how strong they are ..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back