Securing pond liner around edge if barrel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna put a pond liner in this barrel before filling it . It will wrap over the top edge.. How do I secure it? Is it possible to wrap some wood around the outside edge to hold the liner in place?
20220306_165528.jpg

Sponsored Links
Gaffer tape? :rolleyes:

Could always try builders band, spray painted black and fixed with black, round head screws. Alternative, 1mm aluminium strip bent round first, then drilled and countersunk and screwed on with CSK head screws. You'll still need the gaffer tape, though...

Loads of other ways

Why not trim so level with the top and use a staple gun to fix on the inside. Might look neater.
I assume once it is filled, the water will hold the rest in place. Maybe fill it first, push down flat with a broom handle of something, then tip a bit out before stapling.
Maybe some adhesive all around the top 3-4 inches too.

£45 :eek:, glad to finally find something that is cheaper in the Highlands than down south!

Not sure about a pond liner in a container designed to hold liquid :censored:

Sponsored Links
its a oak whisky barrel in my opinion cut in half so fill it with water until it leaks no more ??
at that point fill with i assume earth and plant
iff it dries out it may come loose so do not line with plastic in my opinion and without plastic expect perhaps 5-7 years off use but just a guess

what is the barrel going to be filled with or used for ?

its a oak whisky barrel in my opinion cut in half so fill it with water until it leaks no more ??
at that point fill with i assume earth and plant
iff it dries out it may come loose so do not line with plastic in my opinion and without plastic expect perhaps 5-7 years off use but just a guess

If I dont line it , then fill with pond water, will it contaminate the tadpoles, fish etc?

Tadpoles then after awhile minnows
Just so you know, taking tadpoles from the wild isn't legal
Just so you know, sticking tadpoles in the tub, later frogs isn't great for the frogs.... once they're out the water - how do they get back in? They don't unless you have a ramp/apron.

Nozzle

If I dont line it , then fill with pond water, will it contaminate the tadpoles, fish etc?
you can try it for a week and line iff necessary
remember port brandy whisky are stored in unlined barrels for years

Tadpoles will need somewhere to crawl out as they start to change into little frogs, a steep sided container such as you have would not be suitable.

Yes, well, if that's a wet barrel which was used for storing alcohol it might poison the fish/tadpoles, but at least they might die happy...

No, with this idea you're just going to kill off a generation of frogs in your area. Stagnant water goes green and stale with little oxygen, it'll also evaporate quite quickly as it warms up as such a small body of water. When you top up with tap water, you're also topping up with fluoride.

Nozzle

No, with this idea you're just going to kill off a generation of frogs in your area. Stagnant water goes green and stale with little oxygen, it'll also evaporate quite quickly as it warms up as such a small body of water. When you top up with tap water, you're also topping up with fluoride.

Nozzle

Ok I'll line in. Dont want to contaminate anything. Regarding the tadpoles, as soon as they become froggish I'll take them back to their pond and leave the minnows in there. Put a plant next to it in case they wanna jump out.

Will be pond water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back