Securing pond liner around edge if barrel

Sponsored Links
The great joy is not tadpoles - it is the mad antics of the frogs at breeding time, and that noise in the evening time of them all croaking is just amazing. Our pond is just out of the window so we can sit and watch them.
xFrg1.jpg

Dig yourself a pond in a shady area of the garden, it will soon get populated in all manner of life, I never introduced anything to ours and we now have frogs, dragonflys, backswimmers, strange underwater bettles and all sorts. It is also a mecca for birds, it is just a little wildlife oasi in my own garden. I would'nt be without a pond now.
My wife counted 46 heads out of the water this morning. Just mad.

Sponsored Links
The great joy is not tadpoles - it is the mad antics of the frogs at breeding time, and that noise in the evening time of them all croaking is just amazing. Our pond is just out of the window so we can sit and watch them.
xFrg1.jpg

Dig yourself a pond in a shady area of the garden, it will soon get populated in all manner of life, I never introduced anything to ours and we now have frogs, dragonflys, backswimmers, strange underwater bettles and all sorts. It is also a mecca for birds, it is just a little wildlife oasi in my own garden. I would'nt be without a pond now.
My wife counted 46 heads out of the water this morning. Just mad.
Communal garden for block of flats so I cant dig into the ground

Go in for a bit of guerilla gardening - sneak in and do it at night :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll line in. Dont want to contaminate anything. Regarding the tadpoles, as soon as they become froggish I'll take them back to their pond and leave the minnows in there. Put a plant next to it in case they wanna jump out.

Will be pond water
You'll have fat minnows , they will eat tadpoles. They are incompatible really the former like well oxygenated water which you'll struggle to get unless you have pump .

Last edited:
Which staple gun would you go for? Out of interest, what other jobs would it be used for?
20220314_164321.jpg

Anyone used the tap safe to put in tap water or better just to use pond water?

This has got to be my favourite diynot thread of all time, John Sullivan missed out on this plot line for fools and horses.

Blup

Communal garden for block of flats so I cant dig into the ground
One of the big problems in not having the pond in the ground is controlling the temperature. Our garden pond is about 4 foot deep, and at the bottom of the pond the temperature varies from about 5 to 17°C. Even in the 'Beast-from-the-East' when it was minus 15 with 2 foot of snow the very bottom of the pond never went below 5°C.

A container of water above above ground level will have very large swings in temperature, this will probably kill most pond life.

Regarding tap water. As far as I know outdoors the chlorine evaporates off in a day or two so it should be fine. They also say add tap water to the pond via a spray, apparently this removes the cholrine? when I have topped our pond up during very dry spells this is what I do, (of course I am maybe only adding an inch to an average depth of 2 foot, I don't believe this does any harm?
Other than that our pond relieves rain water off the roof, (about 70 tonne a year)

Which staple gun would you go for?
I got this one, but maybe overkill for a one off job, eh?

Passlode IM200 Gas Stapler.jpg

It will staple 0.7mm steel perimeter track to softwood for suspended ceilings - mind you it makes a hell of a racket doing so!

The stapler you require depends on the material you are fixing. What are you using?

This has got to be my favourite diynot thread of all time
You plonker.........*

* = fill in name as appropriate

One of the big problems in not having the pond in the ground is controlling the temperature. Our garden pond is about 4 foot deep, and at the bottom of the pond the temperature varies from about 5 to 17°C. Even in the 'Beast-from-the-East' when it was minus 15 with 2 foot of snow the very bottom of the pond never went below 5°C.

A container of water above above ground level will have very large swings in temperature, this will probably kill most pond life.

Regarding tap water. As far as I know outdoors the chlorine evaporates off in a day or two so it should be fine. They also say add tap water to the pond via a spray, apparently this removes the cholrine? when I have topped our pond up during very dry spells this is what I do, (of course I am maybe only adding an inch to an average depth of 2 foot, I don't believe this does any harm?
Other than that our pond relieves rain water off the roof, (about 70 tonne a year)

I'll put it in a shaded area

I got this one, but maybe overkill for a one off job, eh?

View attachment 264207

It will staple 0.7mm steel perimeter track to softwood for suspended ceilings - mind you it makes a hell of a racket doing so!

The stapler you require depends on the material you are fixing. What are you using?

You plonker.........*

* = fill in name as appropriate
Pond liner to barrel but if I'm gonna get one be good if can be used on other jobs

20220316_090914.jpg
20220316_085844.jpg
20220316_090521.jpg
Got to be lined, barrel will kill wildlife.

Used carpet underlay. Gonna fill it then let it settle then tidy it up with staples or aluminium strip and screws. Put in most shaded area I could find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back