Security light stays on

Sorry No idea.

One idea - on my PIR you pull the PIR section downwards and it slides out of the upper housing by about 1cm to expose the controls.
SFK
Thanks - won’t budge though, seem to be two plastic wedges inside the housing holding it fast, mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen anything quite like that before, but it looks as if it may simply be something to 'hold down' the wires (if those wires are positioned under it before the 'ball' is put back in its hole) - certainly not of any functional relevance

Kind Regards, John
Oh yeah - why didn’t I think of that, Doh !

On lamps I've had/got, On-Off-On in quick succession locks the light on. This can be annoying if there are brief drop-outs in the mains supply. Is your mains subject to drop-outs?
Yes, that's a common functionality - often useful but, as you say, sometimes annoying.

However, my understanding is that the OP's light is coming on when it gets dark. Were it in its 'locked' state as a result of 'on-off-on', the light would presumably be on continuously, even during daylight?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The ball ended piece is supposed to connect the part shown in your photo to the wall bracket that you haven't shown, to prevent the part in your photo from falling while you wire it up.

Is it possible that the fitting is just a " Stand alone" Dusk to Dawn fitting that does not include a motion sensor

I think it’s a wickes security light from about 5 years ago AND if so …I think ( at your own risk ) if you pull the security sensor downwards …. It reveals a set of controls ….the senor head goes up and down to reveal/ cover the controls

EE0610E9-E6FB-43C4-B451-11D1AFBB8677.jpeg

Well that certainly looks like it. Excellent work! There may even be instructions somewhere… (btw it’s been there at least 8 years, since before we moved in). I have tried pulling that bit down and as I say there seem to be horrible plastic clips holding it firmly in place. I will tackle it again tomorrow….

OK, this seems to have sorted itself out. I found some instructions for a very similar looking unit together and read all your posts again and decided it was possibly in ‘manual override’ mode with the light on permanently. I switched it off and waited for 20 secs then switched it on again as per the instructions to get it out of ‘manual override’. To my dismay it lit up straight away and so I thought I’d just leave it on all night - a little later I noticed it had gone out so I went to have a look and it detected me and lit up for a short while, as it should. Tried again, same result. Hoping it’s sorted now.
With Many Thanks again to everyone who posted.

When you first power them up they do come on briefly, even in daylight, and then go off again until it is dark enough to be activated by movement. Quite normal.

.... then switched it on again as per the instructions to get it out of ‘manual override’. To my dismay it lit up straight away ...
As has been said, they nearly all do that - the light comes on for a short period (maybe the set 'timed on period'0 when they are first powered up, after which the light goes out and they revert to the intended 'automatic' mode - which seems to be what you have observed .....
... a little later I noticed it had gone out so I went to have a look and it detected me and lit up for a short while, as it should. Tried again, same result. Hoping it’s sorted now.
I hope so, too - and it does sound as if it is now working 'as expected'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back