Security Light Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to figure out which wire goes where? The grey one is confusing me, I think its a switched live, see photo's, anyone help me out which wire goes where?

IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg

Sponsored Links
As well as the earth are the colours from the wall ,black ,brown and grey , One looks as though its blue ?
Do you have a multimeter ?

Please check with a DMM before fitting but from what I can see:

Black seems to be neutral, it's connected to the twin and earth blue in the back box.

Grey is switched line, ie on when switch is down.

Brown is permanent line.

So, in the fitting the wall cable brown goes to brown, black to blue, grey to red and earth to green/yellow.

Sponsored Links
A multimeter will allow you to test and confirm that the grey is switched line ,brown permanent line and black neutral.

Wiring this way means your floodlight will operate via the PIR, but if you want the light on all the time, just operate the switch. The light will stay on all the time until you switch off.

OK great, which wire from outside wall goes to which terminal block connection? which connection does the grey wire go to in the security light?

Im assuming;

Brown to Brown
Black to Blue
Earth to G/Y
Grey to?

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back